Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those with ign advance how far have you advanced
i have gear mapping and gone as far as 8 degrees in 6th
i start at 3rd gear 2 degrees and go 2 degrees each gear up.
so just wondering how far has anyone gone

i also have auto tune wich is limited to how much fuel ill let it adjust at a time
i have great power and good fuel economy mainly on the open road but very happy with it

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have run as high as 10 degrees across the rpm range,from 1500 rpm and up, with no issues running 87 octane fuel.I have since backed off to 8 degrees above the stock settings to be safe.
I know the kawi is retarded(lower then factory max) before the 3000 rpm mark in the lower gears for emission reasons, and does respond favourably to more timing early in the rpm range.But without a Dyno hard to quantify.Just add a couple degrees at a time and test drive ,and see how it responds on your local fuel supply.The total timing from the factory is around 40 degrees once its past 3000 rpm from what I have read.So I assume I am somewhere around 50 degrees total at that point.
Just be careful adding too much timing below 1500 rpm or your cold idle start and warm idle will be faster then normal.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just an update running 87 Octane fuel I had to retard my timing back to 5degrees max due to pinging underload(incline)at 2000rpm and applying heavy throttle.It was 30 degrees celceus and hot .I should of really down shifted but got lazy.But it was the first time I heard any real pre ignition and decided to be on the safe side ,because the price of fuel in Canada is close to $7.00 a gallon and if you want 89 Octane or higher you are looking at a 50 cent jump per Octane jump at some pumps.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Seven degrees is where I'm at. I've been higher but it's on the edge of pinging.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm running Davidsheeks map and it's working great using 95 octane fuel :)
Just so that we are not comparing Apples to Oranges here, note the Difference between European and North American Octane Ratings:

...the octane rating shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the rating shown elsewhere in the world for the same fuel. This difference is known as the fuel's sensitivity,[4] and is not typically published for those countries that use the Anti-Knock Index labelling system.

Therefore your 95 is only 90-91 here in North America.
Your 91-92 would be our 87 (Regular).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good to know about the fuel ratings.
In Sweden we only have 95 & 98 but the 95 is going to be replaced by E10 and that contains 10% ethanol. ( shell have a 99 fuel )

Btw have anyone tried to use only ethanol, and in that case what settings do you use on power commender v regarding fuel and ignition compared to regular fuel?
Do you advance the ignition and add more fuel?

Just so that we are not comparing Apples to Oranges here, note the Difference between European and North American Octane Ratings:

...the octane rating shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the rating shown elsewhere in the world for the same fuel. This difference is known as the fuel's sensitivity,[4] and is not typically published for those countries that use the Anti-Knock Index labelling system.

Therefore your 95 is only 90-91 here in North America.
Your 91-92 would be our 87 (Regular).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Btw have anyone tried to use only ethanol, and in that case what settings do you use on power commender v regarding fuel and ignition compared to regular fuel?
Do you advance the ignition and add more fuel?
I don't think that it is safe to use more than 15% ethanol fuels in vehicles that are not designed for them. I'm sure the Kawi manual states not to use higher concentrations of ethanol.

Straight ethanol destroys certain synthetic rubber and plastic fittings. I believe that it also absorbs more water than petroleum and is very unstable, turning to sludge much faster.

And don't get me started on how the production of ethanol fuel is probably much worse for the environment than simply pumping crude. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts