Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, been reading up on the Power commander 5 and I have been playing with my tables alot lately, really trying to create two tables in one: low throttle, low rpm situations I leaned it out and have been sipping gas... but when I get past 20% throttle, I make the mix a bit richer so I have plenty of grunt to get out of sticky situations or to just put a smile on my face.

Anyways, since I noticed the maps available on PC's site are pretty generic and just throw fuel at the problem, I was wondering if anyone wanted to start sharing their tunes or any tips? I noticed a few other forums have threads where they share their tunes, so i figured we can start here, since I didn't see anything about that here.

If you want to exchange maps, we can email each other, or even easier: we could just attach them to the posts here, its the paper clip just to the right of the white smiley face and the button to color your font.

Happy riding!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I always enjoy trying a new map, just to see if there is any seat of the pants noticeable difference. (Edit out 1700 thread)
However the experts (like Ray and few others) say map sharing is not always a good idea since each bike (and air/temp environment) is different (even for the same engine model).

One of these days I may actually get a professional tune with an exhaust analyzer, just to make sure I'm not blowing fuel out the exhaust or past my rings. Or running lean enough to burn a valve over time. I listen for knock so I don't think I'm burning a hole in my piston.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Krieger I apologize, I forgot that the thread I referred to was for all 1700 engines and your thread is posted in the 900 section. That was sloppy of me, yes this would be a good thread for 900 maps.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
One mans map is another mans agony, go put your bike on a dyno and have it run right .... for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
coming from building turbo charged vws and audis, I know all about dyno tuning and it's ultimate superiority... but honestly, 99% of people out there with chipped, tuned, flashed, or otherwise ' modified' ecus are honestly just running a pretty generic flash that is shared amongst thousands or millions of other vehicles.

map sharing isn't bad. it lets you see how other people have created their tables and to see what works for other people. if the map you share isn't as good for you as the last one, simply reflash. no harm done.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I don't have a 900 but what I've done so far is I started with the Dynojet generic download for my scenario.

Then I acquired a few other maps that I got from other folks with my same model/engine bike. I loaded and ran them all the same morning back to back so I could compare the seat of the pants pull, knocking, stuttering, gas smell etc all while it was fresh in my mind.

Then I wrote (typed) down everything on each map and how it compared. Then I opened them each up in the PCV software and examined the differences in the fuel and ignition tables to try and spot why and where the differences where coming from.

I captured images of the maps I wanted to grab some cell data from and opened the image files along side of the PCV software which had the original Dynojet generic map, and edited the parts I wanted to change into that map.

I'm still working on small areas but for most part I have a map that runs better than my stock ECU and I don't have any negative stuttering or gas smell. However I still have a throttle blip stutter from idle. The bike has had this since I bought it new. I've gotten some of this out with lower cell edits and a 10% delta, 10rpms, +40% fuel in the PCV Accel Pump settings. But if I blip it hard it's still there.

I'm satisfied I have the infamous intake leak and I need to do the Thunder Air Gasket install and plan to pull the throttle body all the way off also and put some RTV sealant where it goes to the heads.

BTW the Accel Pump setting is individual of the map and it stored in the PCV unit regardless of map change. My Nomad is essentially a TBW (even though a cable runs from the handlebar) so I could not use the Accel Capture feature. But I did experiment with several Accel Pump settings.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I get home, ill share the file ive been working with. It sips gas when cruising, but roll on throttle and take off are sooooo much better than the tunes on PC's site.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cant seem to find out how to share the maps I made. they arent showing up in my MAPS folder. any ideas? this map is doing great.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I cant seem to find out how to share the maps I made. they arent showing up in my MAPS folder. any ideas? this map is doing great.
Well some folks attach an image file (jpeg etc) to their post, since the pvm files won't attach (gives invalid file err).

You can also just attach a generic notepad (unformatted) text file to a post (see my attachment of the dynojet site download for a 1700). That way they can open the text file and just copy and paste the entire (or part of) row, column data directly into a new pvm file opened in the dynojet software on their computer.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts