Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished the install of the PCV with Autotune yesterday. I chose the Autotune with (2) O2 sensors because I intend to separate the exhaust pipes this winter. I loaded up one of David’s maps and am going to spend the afternoon on the Dyno tweaking to see what the motor will produce. The instructions that came with my unit left a lot out about the hook up to the coils so I thought I would show some pictures. Thanks to all the people that contributed idea’s to the install.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thought I would add a few more pic"s. Before you ask, Ues I wrapped the pipes before I installed them for the last time. All I will say about reinstalling the chrome covers with the wrap on is Time consuming, One funny note I am about half way finished with the install and the wife walks in the shop. She looks at me and the brand new bike that I have taken apart shaks her head and walks out not a word spoken

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I didn't think the PCV with the autotune would hook up to the coils at all. Does the PCV have the ability to change the ignition advance? I have the PCV with ignition and of course that would connect to the coils.Hmmm interesting.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks David, I will be using one of your maps today to start the testing with. Both your maps have ignition maps with them so you must have the coils hooked up. I had to call the mamufacture to find out where the white and green and the white and blue wires hook up as that part is not in the instructions.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Thanks David, I will be using one of your maps today to start the testing with. Both your maps have ignition maps with them so you must have the coils hooked up. I had to call the mamufacture to find out where the white and green and the white and blue wires hook up as that part is not in the instructions.
Is your PCV #17-006 or the 17-033?

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
OH ok. Then you should try those ignition maps that I sent with the fuel map. Mine has never run this good. Yes those instructions lack in the detail hook up. If you will look closely in the illustrated picture of the instructions they use a jumper wire from the left coil to the white wire. Very confusing but I figured it out. They need to update that.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well found out that if you run dual O2 sensors that the maps from a single or no sensor will not load so with the auto tune turned off and Davids #1 map loaded with the stock air filter set up we ended up with 77.11 hp and 91.41 ft/lbs of torque. More to come.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Cstmcycle... When I got my PCV they had the map for the 033 loaded and I am running the 006. They had me to open the wrong map and copy the values and then open the right model map and paste the new values in it and save new map. Worked fine when we did that. It did not recognize the map model was the problem so I was thinking that you may can do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Daddy mac, are you running (2) O2 sensors. Mine has 1 in each pipe now. If I turn the auto tune off I can run any of the maps from them or better yet David Sheek has a map that runs extremely well but if I turn on the auto tune on then it separates the tuning of each cylinder. The fuel and ignition can be adjusted separately for each cylinder. What I am doing is taking Davids #1 map and putting the same map in both cylinders then ride for a while and let the auto tune make changes then see what changes it made and if each cylinder stayed the same. Seems like a good starting point. I put Davids map in a friends 2011 Vaquero with a PCV and single auto tune, V&H slip-ons and a Roaring twins air filter set up and it made 81 hp and 91 ft/lbs of torque. This map sure smoothed out the low rpm power also. A very good map. In case you read this Thanks David.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
It looks to me like you have it together. All I was suggesting was a way to put David's map or any may as far as that goes in for your PCV. I am running the 006 without Autotune. I have put David's map in and it has made more power for sure. I have thought about the Autotune myself or having it dynoed. I like the idea of being able to adjust both cylinders independent of each other.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Not saying that two cylinder tuning wouldn't be some benefit, but my understanding is that primarily came about for the air cooled HD engines. As I understand it the front and rear cylinders on those can have fairly different tuning needs. Not so much, I think, for liquid cooled units.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Here's the PCV ignition hookup given for the VN2K. I'd think it would be very similar to 1700 in this regard.

Seems pretty clear, except it looks like what they show in the picture is opposite of what they say in the text for the color matching the connections.

Hmmm...?

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
This is a good thread, I'm learning here. All the PC's I've seen were on Harleys and it merely piggybacked in between the ECM cable with a Packard pin adaptor, which gave access to everything.

I notice it appears they come with Wide Band O2 sensors now ? And also appears they fit in the OEM bungs ?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
No, PC-V doesn't come with O2 sensors. That's the optional/additional Auto Tune system that plugs into the PC-V. Add another (MSRP) ~$300 or $400 on top of the PC-V depending if you get single or dual O2 sensors. I believe the sensors are M18-1.5 thread. Don't know what the factory bung size is.

·
Registered
574 Posts
No, PC-V doesn't come with O2 sensors. That's the optional/additional Auto Tune system that plugs into the PC-V. Add another (MSRP) ~$300 or $400 on top of the PC-V depending if you get single or dual O2 sensors. I believe the sensors are M18-1.5 thread. Don't know what the factory bung size is.
Thanks guy, that explains it all better. I've heard of that Auto Tune but did not know the logistics of it (I run a Doebeck TFI fuel adder on my HD). M18-1.5 is the same as OEM on Harleys and my old Chevy Truck.

I'm "hopefully" gonna soon be a Nomad owner, so this will probably become my main forum. I love the Classic 2000's but the Nomad is setup better for the traveling my wife and I do.

Sorry don't want to get off topic, looking forward to hearing about you tunes and possibly seeing you HP/Torque curves as you go along.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With the PCV you don't have to have Auto tune or a Dyno but you do have to have a good map such as the one that David Sheeks has developed. I don't think David has Auto tune. I think that RacenRay also has a good proven map. People that are reading these web pages have the advantage of using the trial and error performed by other people which gives them a known starting point. I loaded David’s #1 map into a friend’s 2011 Vaquero and it improved the bike 100%. Even though we have access to 3 different Dyno’s that don’t cost us anything to use, we see no reason to make any changes. It runs great. I got the dual sensor Auto tune because this winter I intend to make several major changes to my bike which will require knowing what each cylinder is doing. Yes I paid the price for the PCV and Auto tune with dual sensors. With shipping was about $700.00. In the long run I may wish I had left off the Auto tune but I like to tinker and just right is not good enough. I learn something new every day on this web site.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Hopefully it's not a distraction to this Vaquero thread, but I got a reply from Dynojet saying the discrepancy in the color codes I previously mentioned didn't really matter from a technical standpoint.

Still scratching my head about that because if you go with a dual O2 setup with ignition control, sure seems like the two would have to be properly mapped/matched together, yes??

In other words, if the wiring to coils by color code doesn't matter then am I to assume there is not true dual channel/two cylinder control capability as they say? Sure wouldn't think you'd want the fuel for the front cylinder paired with ignition for the rear cylinder and vice versa.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On the PCV with ignition you can not cross up the coil wire because only one set is long enough to reach the front coil.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Well, can't speak to the Vaquero but apparently you can on the VN2K because the picture and the text show two different things. Dynojet said it doesn't really matter, but suggested to follow the text. That would be opposite of what the picture shows.

Sure, the bike's wires are longer/shorter, but those coming down from the PC-V seem to be the same length (at least in the picture).

Guess I'll find out for sure if I ever decide to pull the trigger. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts