Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a PCV and autotune and am planning to install this weekend.
I have a 1700 classic with V&H big shots and thunder stock cover air kit.
2 questions I have is:
Where the ignition wires I have to connect to are located?
Do I have to drill the O2 sensor on the pipes or the V&H /VN1700 have that already I can just plug?
If I have to drill, do I need to sensors, one for each pipe and where should I drill?
:confused::confused:

Thanks all

·
Registered
580 Posts
The wires you have to connect the PCV are under the battery cover on the ECU. You tap into them using the posi-taps which are supplied. The PCV and auto-tune have pretty good instructions and pictures for the install if I am recalling correctly. I have the FPE true duals and I had to drill a hole about 12" from the cyl end of the head pipes for the O2 sensors prior to the pipe install. It depends on which auto-tune unit you received, if you have just the one sensor....one hole. If you're pipes aren't true duals, just try to get the O2 sensor installed in the pipe just before it splits off to each side. If you do a search on here about that, there is quite a bit of info and I believe someone posted close-up pictures of the wire install on his bike also. Here are a couple pictures of the sensor install I found on here:

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Am thinking of getting this for my Voyager. Does the auto tune also adjust the timing if you get the pcv with ignition? I understand it does not actually change your map, but recommends changes you have to apply to the fuel, but havent seen anything about the ignition timing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
hi rick
auto tune dosnot change the ign you have to set that your self.
you set a air fuel ratio and the auto tune will adjust the pcv to obtain that ratio ,and yes you have to accept those settings for them to remain.
it pays to reduce the amount of adjust the auto tune does mine is restriceted to + or - 2 as im very happy where it runs and only let if fine tune whiel i ride ,but i dont accept it as i like my map

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Thank you cannonballs. I already have a Gman/Bully controller, but understand that advancing the timing makes a big difference in performance and mpg also, the mpg being my main concern now since it seems to run pretty good as is. Did some reading here last night and saw a couple post about performance dropping due to the auto tune leaning the A/F too far.

·
Registered
138 Posts
yes auto tune can lean them out, if not set right .
you need your targeted air fuel right and you dont let the pcv loose with adjustment standard it can go + or - 10 settings, i only let it go +or- 2 and now dont accept any as im happy with my map so it can only fine tune it up or down 2 increments at a time
just to make it more confusing we have gone one further with individual gear mapping with different air fuel ratios for each gear
so power down low and fuel economy in 5th and 6th gears

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Cannonballs, would you mind sharing your map?

yes auto tune can lean them out, if not set right .
you need your targeted air fuel right and you dont let the pcv loose with adjustment standard it can go + or - 10 settings, i only let it go +or- 2 and now dont accept any as im happy with my map so it can only fine tune it up or down 2 increments at a time
just to make it more confusing we have gone one further with individual gear mapping with different air fuel ratios for each gear
so power down low and fuel economy in 5th and 6th gears

1 - 8 of 8 Posts