Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assure everyone that this is not a spam post. I am posting this here because I want to get the word out to as many folks as I can. I am passing information, that's all. I am sure a lot of you use PayPal and may not be aware of their new policy.

RANT ON >:D

PayPal will be implementing a new privacy policy that allows them and their partners to robocall you at the number you provide to them and any other number they obtain by any other means that they can link to you!

If your work phone gets linked in their system, you could be robocalled at work as well as during all "business" hours at home. PayPal and any of their many partners will be allowed to call you. It also includes texting and you will have to pay for the texts just like any other text.

You will be given a choice (you may already have and didn't know it): agree to these terms or close your account by July 15. Literally! You will attempt to log in and the new privacy policy will be presented (of course the robocall part is buried deep in the policy). If you decline, you can't get into your account. If you accept, you have until July 15th to close your account or the new policy will be applied to your account.

The FCC may pass rules in the middle of this month that would stop this from happening. Maybe.

PayPal says they will honor all requests to be removed from the call lists, but how long will that take and what about all of their myriad partners that they sell you number(s) to while they are "processing" your request?

Unless this is blocked by the FCC, I will be closing my PayPal account before the deadline. If it were not for the fact that it is sometimes the best way to conduct a transaction, I would close it anyway, just because they tried to pull this crap.

RANT OFF

I hope I have not offended anyone or broken any sacred forum rules by posting this. Thanks

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hmmm . . . No es bueno! Should we all tell PayPal to GFY??

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I probably will. I'm stewing on it now.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Well that's just a big ole pile of BS. I only have one phone (cell) and unlimited texts. If they call me I'll just add it to the growing list of ignored calls and blocked text messages.
If you close your paypal account, you can still use paypal to pay for things without logging in so you still have the added "safety" of using paypal without the unwanted phone calls.
I wonder if this new policy is one of many reasons why eBay and paypal are becoming separate companies?

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For what it's worth, I sent an email to PayPal to make them aware of my displeasure with the policy. Maria C.... replied that she would submit my account to opt out of the PayPal calls.

The policy still sucks. Still considering whether to close my account or not.

The FCC is supposed to make their ruling by June 18th.

·
BOTM Winner, February 2016
265 Posts
eBay and PayPal are splitting off into separate companies now...this is likely the result of that.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
That is jacked. Just another revenue stream in an age of options. Like DoomCrewInc I'll probably keep the account and add any new unwanted calls to the spamcatcher.

-Mark

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Just a few more days until the FCC is set to make their ruling. I wonder what they will choose and how much lobbyists influence their decision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts