Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way back from lunch with 900 Classic, I passed by an area where they were doing road construction / laying road pavement.

Unfortunately, a few pavement pebbles got in somewhere and started rattling around for a minute or two.

Is there anything for which I should check or be on the look out?

In general how do bikes handle against items like these? Obviously I wouldn’t take it joy riding down a dirt road with rocks, but how concerned should I be about this?

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Just check your tires to make sure no rocks are lodged in the tread, and check your rear sprocket/belt to make sure nothing is lodged there (both of which you should do regularly anyway) and you should be good to go. Otherwise, nothing really to worry about unless you hear a constant scraping.

Gravel happens. :D

·
Registered
711 Posts
the only thing that would concern me would be the black sticky stuff so jsut make sure you give it a good wash.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I live on a country road that has always been black topped. That is until 2 months after I got my bike. Then the state decided to tar and gravel the road. For two months I sounded like BB's being poured over a tin roof every time I went home. I found little tar covered chip gravel in the oddest of places when cleaning my bike or rotating the tires on the wife's Honda. All in all, there was no real damage. It just was a pain in the stinking rear end when you have to clean tar off your chrome. I had to resort to finger nail polish remover on occasion.

·
Registered
487 Posts
When a pebble goes between the belt and pulley you will know it. I had one get between mine last summer. It made one heck of a racket and felt like the belt skipped a tooth on the pulley. The pebble punched a hole in the belt and became lodged so every time it rotated past the pulley it made a grinding noise. I had to pull over and dig the pebble out of the belt. Nice hole in the belt but it's still holding together 3000 miles later.

·
Registered
279 Posts
On my 900, gravel gets tossed up into the fender quite frequently, the noise is annoying as the gravel bounces around, but the stones bounce out after a few moments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts