Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all and I hope you're doing well during this crazy pandemic situation. I've seen a lot of great engagement on these forums and am hoping someone might be able to assist with this, probably easy, passing lamp not working issue. I am not experienced with electronics or motorcycle repair/troubleshooting so a newbie on this type of troubleshooting.

I purchased my previously used 2006 Vulcan 900 from a local dealer a couple of years ago. Before I drove it off the lot I tested all of the switches, lights, horn, etc... and we noticed that the passing lamps weren't working so they offered to fix it for free if I bring it back in. So I did just that and they got it working but no mention of what the issue was. (that's on me, I should have asked)

Anyhow, it could be a simple fuse issue but if you check out the pictures below there is no fuse between the main headlamp plug and the lead going to the passing lamp switch so I guess I just debunked myself.

I checked the end of the black connector wire that comes from the main headlamp switch and goes into the passing lamp switch with my multimeter (3rd picture below) but regardless of which setting I choose there does not appear to be any power going to that. The main headlamp works fine with both standard and high beams so that's fully functional thankfully but it just doesn't appear to be sending power. Keep in mind that I did nothing to make these stop working. Just one day they weren't working even though I made no modifications or poked around anywhere, just suddenly dead.

Seems there are very few options as to what the cause would be with this very simplistic setup, I just need a nudge in the right direction. If someone could tell me where to place the positive and negative leads from the multimeter to test any of these connections I'd appreciate it and will post the results very quickly for you to see.

I appreciate your comments in advance. If you need any more pictures or information from me I'm more than happy to help.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

·
Registered
829 Posts
Good morning LuvToRekord. I have a tachometer that used to get its power the same way, from a connection to the headlight low beam wire inside the headlight bucket. It also used the same blue connector (we used to call that type of connector a "scotch lock"), as your bike uses for the running lights. That blue connector is an unreliable connector. It is a very common type of connector, available just about anywhere they sell electrical connectors (like an auto parts store). You could just replace it with a new one, and that usually works. Or, you could figure out a way to replace it with a soldered connection, which would permanently fix the issue.

The interesting thing is, running lights on the front of the bike is standard for the VN900. I'm not sure why someone installed a switch to turn them on and off. The way it is connected now, they would only be on when you are running the low beam, and they would be off when running the high beam, regardless of the position of the running lights switch, because it is getting its power from the low beam wire.

Come to think of it, there is also a switched connector inside the light bucket, that turns off and on with the key. It uses round bayonet style connectors, and would not limit your running lights to low beam only. I'm not sure of the allowed current load on that connector. I switched my tach to that connector and it has worked out fine, but a tach uses less current than running lights. Maybe you could figure out what happened to the original running lights?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jbiggers you were spot on! That clamp failed and wasn't sending power to the switch, thank you!! :) Now as to why the switch is there in the first place I'm not sure but my issue has been solved. For that I thank you! Have a great day.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Ok, you got me curious. I've never heard the term "passing lamps". What are you referring to?

·
Super Moderator
3,024 Posts
I believe what we call auxiliary lights on our light bars and engine guards, a lot of the europeans call passing lights or lamps. Think you can see the light in the third picture posted by LuvToRekord in his original thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts