Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading through the Owner Manual (for easy reading) and noticed the following statement in the Safe Operation section...

"When quick acceleration is necessary as in passing, shift to a lower gear to obtain the necessary power."

I'm relatively new to riding but this statement stood out to me. Why would dropping down to a lower gear provide you with more passing speed compared to up shifting to a higher gear and opening the throttle?

If anyone can help me understand this that would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was reading through the Owner Manual (for easy reading) and noticed the following statement in the Safe Operation section...

"When quick acceleration is necessary as in passing, shift to a lower gear to obtain the necessary power."

I'm relatively new to riding but this statement stood out to me. Why would dropping down to a lower gear provide you with more passing speed compared to up shifting to a higher gear and opening the throttle?

If anyone can help me understand this that would be great. Thanks!
If you're in 5th at 45 miles an hour, and need to pass someone quick, it'll take some time to get to 65, however, if you drop down to 4th, AND open the throttle, you'll get there a lot quicker. Its all about gear ratios, and ratios are lower, in lower gears.

·
Registered
941 Posts
It is the same as your car, and I am assuming according to your statement that you don't drive a stick, but you drive an automatic. But in your automatic when you want to pass someone, you mash the pedal to the floor very quickly and when you do that, the car will kick a little. And the engine will rev up. That is because it downshift one to two gears, sometimes 3 gear depending on the car and how many gears it has total.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, after reading them it does make sense. Thanks again for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The guys are giving you good info, Kevin, but a picture is worth a thousand words, they say.
I'm attaching a graph i took off the internet of a 2006 900 Vulcan. The top two lines are torque readings and the bottom two are horsepower.
As you progress through the rpm range, the torque and horsepower will change accordingly. You shift gears to optimize your torque and horsepower to give you maximum acceleration. It'd be nice to have a tachometer on the bike to see where the rpm is at a given point, but we just have to do it by the seat of our pants.
Downshift enough for power, but not so much that you over-rev the engine... and do it with a big smile on your face as you roll on the power! For our STOCK 900's, the internet says that: Peak torque = 60.5 ft/lb at 3500 rpm (59.1 mph w/stock high gear). Peak HP = 53.6 bhp at 6000 rpm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Helek_52, Thanks for the visual!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts