Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After we quickly realized that the stock seat on my 900 classic was designed for torture, I replaced it with a Mustang wide touring seat. That pretty much solved my problem, and made things a lot better for my wife, but she's still finding on longer rides her behind gets pretty sore. After an hour she's sore and needs to get off (compared to about 20min on the stock seat). We haven't been on any long trips yet but I'm starting to wonder if she'll ever get used to it. She got a gel pad which she says helps a bit but not much. I've read and been told that a person does eventually get used to it - 'training their butt' so to speak, but is this true? Or do I need to continue looking for another solution? Like a Vaquero or a GW maybe :D. Sadly, not in the picture just now...

Anyone have a passenger who's tried one of these: http://www.bikercushion.com/Butty-Buddy-Motorcycle-Passenger-Seat-p/buttybuddy.htm

Happily, she really likes riding with me and talks about going on longer trips more than I do, but an hour at a time doesn't seem right.

I've toyed with the idea of sending my seat in to have it made into a Russel Daylong, but after spending this much on the Mustang, I'm a littlle hesitant.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
ride for a summer and let her tooshie get used to it. It takes a little while, but the pain starts to subside...

·
Registered
171 Posts
First of all, the Butty Buddy is what you get if you don't have a pillion seat. It fits over a fender or a narrow back seat just to give a little wider support. If you've got the Mustang Wide Touring, you've already got a better back seat than you'll get with the Butty.

Looking at your avatar, it looks like you don't have much of a backrest for your wife. The more back support you can get for your passenger, the more they can move around to more comfortable positions. We installed a rear trunk from Mutazu, with a wrap-around backrest. My wife loves it.

Passenger floorboards are also a good idea. They give the passenger the ability to move their feet around a bit during a ride, and you'd be amazed at how much difference that makes.

I wouldn't give up on the bike just yet. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
After an hour she's sore and needs to get off (compared to about 20min on the stock seat). We haven't been on any long trips yet but I'm starting to wonder if she'll ever get used to it.

Perhaps a stop every hour could save you a ton of $$$$. Just a thought.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Pillion

Even though I drive the V2K I had a similar problem with pain and discomfort for my wife riding pillion. Used to have a goldwing and I promised her that I would get the new bike as close as possible to the same level of comfort . Started with raising the backrest about 5 inches (local fabricator did the sissy bar for me). Then over winter I sent the stock passenger seat to meancitycycles.com and they did a fantastic job-widened the seat about 4.5 inches, all new foam inside, new leather and studs on the seat-looks like factory. The difference in comfort for my better half is amazing, still not quite to the level of the goldwing but way better than the stock setup

·
Registered
166 Posts
keep riding - the seat needs to be broken in (especially the pillion seat, 'cause it's not used that often) My wide touring seat feels like an armchair to my buttocks after the break in - the same will be with the pillion part) ....

Cheers

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I'm just being impatient. We're hoping to set up a longer overnight ride over the next few weeks so we'll see how it goes stopping every hour or so.

AtlAggie: The passenger backrest is up fairly high, but is a small 5" x 7" pad, so not huge. I'll look into the hard trunk with a wrap-around, but that would need to wait for next season I think.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put the Mutazu wrap around on my bike as well. My wife likes it better than the pad she had before and it gives her arms some support. She does get uncomfortable quickly, but she hasn't been on it enough to break it or her in. The foot pads are much better for her than were the pegs. They were costly but if it helps get her on the bike, what does it really cost?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
After an hour she's sore and needs to get off
And your complaining .......:D

·
Registered
684 Posts
Check out the ROHO Airhawk cushions on eBay. We bought two and they are amazing when you get the air set right. You can also google for their reviews and find some good input.

Just be aware that the Airhawk II is less expensive but may not be as long lasting as the original.

·
Registered
711 Posts
On most seats it takes about 500+ miles to fully brake-in. Having said that, like others I find other seat brands to be more comfortable than the Mustang. Not trying to put Mustang brand down but for me the most comfortable seat was a Corbin I used to own but had to go becuase it was the Young Guns and was not designed for touring for the passanger but the driver part was the best I've tried. After I sold it I purchased the OEM Gel Touring and I actually find it more comfortable than the mustang touring as well and for about half the price. Both the mustang and the OEM gel are very large but the seating position on the OEM Gel fits me better as the mustang put me up and forward. Wife and I can go for a full tank without having to stop. Downside of gel seats is the heat when in direct sun light but carry a bottle of water and a rag and wipe down and helps to cool down right away.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had the OEM Gel seat - lots better the the plain stock seat but the Mustang beats it !!! But that's just me and my butt !! :p

I love my Mustang !!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought I'd update this thread with my more recent experience with this seat now that I have about 10,000km on it. While MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the stock seat, this one still isn't perfect for us :(. I rode alone 1350km (840 miles) on one day with the longest stretch being around 2 3/4hr. While I was getting pretty squirmy and very happy to get off and move around at each and every stop, the point is that I was able to do it and at no time felt that I NEEDED to get off - I always felt like I could go further if I wanted. Yes, I was using a sheepskin or a gel pad a lot of the time, but not always.

I've taken a few day rides as well and just got back from a long weekend ride where we rode about 4 to 5 hours each day. This seat certainly lets me do that quite comfortably, where there was no chance I'd even have attempted it with the stocker. For my wife though, the story is still different. It seems to me that the passenger seat either just does not offer the same level of comfort as the driver seat, or she just naturally gets more uncomfortable than I do. I have to think that the seat is pretty much broken in now, so I believe the comfort just isn't there for the passenger the same way as for the driver. While again she feels that it's MUCH MUCH better than stock, and it does allow her to ride for a couple of hours at a time, it does so with a lot of discomfort (she even says pain) after say an hour, hour and a half. Getting off and stretching doesn't relieve it for long apparently. She ALWAYS uses a gel pad, which helps but doesn't eliminate the issue.

So, I guess the search is still on. I either need to:

- find the 'perfect' seat for us for this bike, if it exists
- find another bike with a seat we can ride long hours with (Goldwing?, Venture?), or
- get her riding her own bike with a seat she can deal with (huge longshot this one).

I'm a little frustrated/aprehensive about the whole thing. I mean if it were just for me, I think I'd be ok with this bike with this seat. Adding a batwing and some locking luggage for securlty when on a trip would have me happy for a long long time. But this is a joint venture and my better half needs to be comfortable too. I really want to be putting some miles underneath us over the next few years and it has to be in comfort. Spending an additional $10k for that comfort (i.e. a GW or a Venture etc) though has me squirming more than the seat does.

I guess the search continues....

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
IMO, anything you put on top of the seat is of marginal improvement. They don't a good fit and tend to slide around on top of the seat. Not to mention, none of them are shaped like the seat itself. Which may be good or bad. If you are going to do anything to try to improve the seat for comfort, my opinion is that you should modify the seat itself, and anything you add to the seat should involve removing the seat cover and putting whatever you have under the seat cover--after modifying the seat foam to accept whatever kind of pad you have so it becomes part of the seat, rather than an add on.

Further, if you find any seat to be of questionable comfort, it's because most of them are off-the-shelf items, made with a "one size fits most" idea. If you spend any amount of time riding, comfort is of paramount importance, and going to a custom seat, such as a Russell is well worth the money spent. My wife couldn't stand the stock seat on her 900LT and the Mustang wasn't a lot better. Just a little less uncomfortable. We sent the stocker to Russell and sold the Mustang. She pronounced the Russell to be quite comfortable.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Again, the ROHO airhawk cushion is amazing. The gel pads still let you "settle through" to the bike seat and develop high pressure points on your backside - the airhawk ends up distributing the pressure evenly all over if the air is right. You can get the airhawk II for around $80 on ebay from some solid vendors. If your custom rear seat has a saddle shape to it, you will probably want the "medium cruiser" size. They stick well to the seat and come with straps to hold them in place if you want to use them. I bought two of the higher priced original airhawks for about $125 each and haven't been sorry at all yet.

·
Registered
164 Posts
edmKC

I share your pain and frustration. I have a 900 C. I guess I have a high level of endurance or tolerance for pain. The stocker does begin giving me monkey butt after about an hour, but I can and have endured it for much longer periods. I think I could live with this seat, if it were only me. My wife, however, experiences much pain after about a half hour ride. The Custom seat is not designed for passenger comfort. I do like the styling of the seat, but there comes a point where practical use becomes more important than looks. I bought her the Butty Buddy seat and she is much happier and can ride longer, but it's not your easy chair answer to the problem. She still gets uncomfortable ater a couple hour ride, but the BB seat is a huge improvement for her, over the stocker. I've pretty much come to the conclusion, that there is no real solution to long term passenger comfort with a seat. I think some individuals have higher levels of tolerance than others. My wife and maybe yours are not among that group. I am considering the Mustang to improve my comfort, but I am really not expecting it to improve the passenger ride much over the BB seat my wife uses now. It's frustrating because I would like her to enjoy riding as much as I do. Other than that, I am really happy with the 900 C.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts