Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So let me start off by saying I'm new to the cruiser world. I sold my sportbike for a vn900 largely because I wanted something more comfortable for me and a passenger.

Heres my issue: My girlfriend and I both wear full-face helmets because drivers in MA are idiots and we're not fond of jaw-reconstruction surgery. Her helmet always hits mine over bumps, and it's becoming really annoying for both of us (even when she looking over my shoulder).

I tried telling her to sit more upright/a little further back but she claims she already is. She does, however, hold me around the waste.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice? Would a passenger backrest solve this?

Thanks guys!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
702 Posts
A passenger backrest would not automatically solve it, no. She needs to be comfortable using it in order for it to have any benefit. When I was getting used to riding two up, my shifts weren't that good and I'd get a thunk whenver up- or downshifting, nevermind a hard braking situation.

The both of you getting used to the new scoot will help with this problem. Yes, it's annoying, but tell her to relax and that she won't slide off (be sure to guarantee this, it'd be awkward turtles all over if she did). If it doesn't get better, a backrest might be the best option, but again, she'd need to be comfortable being that far back.

I'm sure you'll find a solution, and once you do, the REAL fun can begin.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Just deny her a helmet for a ride or two. With a couple knots on her forehead she'll take more care to hold her position.

I hope you know I'm just kidding...

·
Registered
574 Posts
All of the replies so far are valid working comments. My wife still bumps me every now and again, but they tend to learn how to stay away as time goes on. If you don't have a passenger backrest I'd get one. It will give her more confidence in sliding back a bit.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I ride with a pillion all the time and we have never clashed helmets. Wife also never holds me around the waist. She has a dolly seat with a fairly high backrest so she holds on to the side of the backrest, or the rack, or rests her hands on the panniers. If you haven't got a dolly seat then I suggest getting one. She will thank you for it.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
It's all in the Pillions comfort level. I ride with my Grandsons gal on the Pillion seat all the time (he's on a GSXR 1300 which she doesn't like). She's a great passenger, and we never bump helmets (both full faced). We've worked out hand signals, like I tap her left knee to hang on if we're going to accelerate "Briskly" and she always pays attention to what's going on, where we are and what's happening. I never really know she's there until she taps me on the right shoulder signaling a need for a P break. So the gals comfort and confidence level is everything. I'd recommend a backrest so she can sit more upright and know that she can't slide off the rear. Also try and work out some signals for needed communication.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Sounds like ya'll just need more road time to adjust from crotch rocket to cruiser riding styles. And I completely agree a back rest would help her in time a swell.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I’d highly recommend a passenger backrest and passenger floor boards for both safety and comfort.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I’d highly recommend a passenger backrest and passenger floor boards for both safety and comfort.
That makes a big diffence. I went a step more and added a tour pack with rap around rear seat and floor boards. Wife says, she can sleep back there now. LOL

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also a agree. I have the same issue with my girl on my 900 custom. So I've ordered a trunk with a nice semi wrap back rest to go on it so she can lean back in comfort. She's looking forward to it.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
My wife has said many times that she would never ride without a backrest. And I swear she does actually fall asleep on me sometimes. Kind of scary when we are at the end of a very long day of riding. Mainly at night when there isn't anything more to look at, it can get boring for her. I make sure to keep her attentive in times like that. She even jokes and says I need to make up some kind of seat belt for her. LOL

So after my recent purchase of the Ultimate seat (which is awesome by the way) the mustang sissy bar pad I had on there was too thin and didn't suit her sitting position anymore. The mustang seat had her sitting back further. So we needed a thicker backrest. I found the original oem rest to be the right thickness but not comfortable at all. Lastly went back to Ultimate Seats and bought their Pad. We are again back in business. It has a slight contour to it and is plenty thick and soft. She loves it! Happy wife Happy life!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have ridden on the back of a bike without a sissy bar and it truly felt like I would fall off if I leaned back. The sissy bar made all the difference in the world.

And, yes, there have been a few times that I have fallen asleep on the back of DH's bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Apologies if this turns into a thread thats already been discussed...

So i'm definitely thinking a passenger backrest is going to solve this issue alot faster than bubble-wrapping my gf's head haha. I'm on an extreme budget though and need one for cheap (like under $150 shipped). Any suggestions?

Mutazu has one for $130 shipped but its 18", is that too tall/ is mutazu crap quality? I def dont want a mini one, but I don't want my bike looking goofy. Should I go used on an OEM or cobra? Any insight will be appreciated.

Also, i bought my vn900 with cavalry hardbags- will this effect installation?

Thanks for the help guys!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 28 Posts