Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my '06 EN500 LTD, the previous owner had laid it down more than once (based on the damage it was most likely just dropped from stand-still) and one of the things I haven't gotten around to fixing is the L passenger foot peg.

The peg will retract and come down again, but it's floppy. With weight on it, it points down at the ground at an angle. But looking at the exploded parts chart I can't see any spring in there -- what do I replace? The whole peg? Or is my frame bent somehow and keeping the peg from "stopping" on it? I'm trying to compare with the R side but can't see a difference.

Anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Lindog,

The rear footpegs are held in place by the rubber of the grip pressing against the inside washer against the mount. The part number appears to be 92076-024.

If the peg is pointing downwards when at rest then something may be bent. Pictures would be helpful for diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
my passenger foot peg is floppy also and they make it to be that way

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lindog,

The rear footpegs are held in place by the rubber of the grip pressing against the inside washer against the mount. The part number appears to be 92076-024.

If the peg is pointing downwards when at rest then something may be bent. Pictures would be helpful for diagnosis.
I will work on getting some pictures -- I know it is not supposed to be that way because the R side does not hyper-extend that far, and because it is a safety issue for the passenger to have the peg "drop out" from beneath their left foot.

I was just hoping not to have to take it apart completely to diagnose but I guess that's probably my best bet :cool:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Lindog,

The footpeg is held on by a pin secured by a cotter pin to the mount. The mount is bolted to the frame with a single bolt that also holds on the muffler bracket.

It is a possibility that the footpeg was previously removed then installed upside-down. Take a look at the chrome part and see if the square end is on the down side. If it is on the top side that could be your issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lindog,

The footpeg is held on by a pin secured by a cotter pin to the mount. The mount is bolted to the frame with a single bolt that also holds on the muffler bracket.

It is a possibility that the footpeg was previously removed then installed upside-down. Take a look at the chrome part and see if the square end is on the down side. If it is on the top side that could be your issue.
Thanks Biker Bill. Good call on the upside-down installation -- I thought it was that but when I took it off to flip it around, it turned out the "squared" part was just totally squashed from when the bike landed on it, apparently. So it wasn't stopping the tipping action.

This is what it looked like (after I pounded it a little to get the rubber part off).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts