Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday after cruising around for a few hours on, IMHO, one of the all around bikes ever built. My wife and I stopped off at an ice cream stand. Dismounting she slipped off the peg and fell face first onto the gravel. She was ok this time, but she is small and the doctor says she is in the early stages of a thing called osteoporosis. I was much more upset than her. I feel really sick about the whole thing.

I need some advice on floorboards.

I’ve been the cheap route on another bike and ended up tossing them.

It is hard to tell online what you are really getting. Basically, I want something that will be easier for her to get on and off, that has a good grip and looks do not matter to me.

Thank-you for your time.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
This is one area where I went OEM. They match the bike perfectly (obviously) and they are strong. My wife actually uses them to get on the bike, full force, and they have never bent, gotten loose or deviated in any way from the original mount.
Regards-SH.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I agree with Silenthill; I went OEM for the floorboards, too. My SO uses them to step on and they have been great...much more comfortable for her, too, than just the pegs.

Any little bit to give her some more comfort back there gives us more time on the bike together!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Before I ever discovered this Forum as I was buying T'Pol I worked some accessories into the buy. I went with the Kawi rear floorboards. I have seen another floorboard that have the Vulcan V symbol and I liked it but as everyone has stated our passengers (all 3 of mine) use them to mount and dismount. Plus they are full sized and match the bike. I would buy them again. FYI I used some blue thread locker when installing them.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It didn't take long for the passenger pegs to go. I replaced them with the OEM stock. Very pleased. All three passenger riders agree (various foot sizes kids to adult). Very stable, roomy, and perfect fit/match. The only issue I had was the bolt heads took no time at all to rust. I touched them up with black paint...they look great.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife's mishap. Motorcycling can be hazardous enough as it is without having to worry about getting hurt mounting and dismounting the bike! Passenger floorboards are a great idea for her safety, comfort, and also protects your exhaust pipes from melted heel rubber.

Several here have already pointed out the OEM Fire & Steel brand and also the Cobras. I went with Kuryakyn, to save some $$. They look fine (I know you said you didn't care so much about looks) and I can stand up on them and they hold very steady... but the Kurys also require mounting adapters for each specific bike. Wife likes them a lot. Whichever you select, you'll both be pleased.

Current pricing from Cruiser Customising (lowest to highest):

Highway Hawk Passenger Boards (#734-069) $175.46

Kury Constellation Boards (#4457) $163.99 + $18 adapter
Kury Passenger Boards (#4455) $172.19 + $18 adapter
Kury Transformer II (#4380) $213.19 + $18 adapter

Cobra Passenger Boards (#3968) $221.36
Cobra Swept Boards (#4968) $245.96

Custom World International (#2763) $265.95

Kaw Fire & Steel Passenger Boards $284.95
There... lots to pick from!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Floorboards

I went with the kuryakyn floorboards on my 08 900 custom and they are great. I have them on the front and the back. Very easy to install and well worth it

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank-you for your responses and I am sure all of your recommendations are excellent. I have decided to go OEM, because of the consensus and I just plain liked the dealer I bought the LT from and it's a good excuse to ride over the mountains.

I know I could probably pick them up cheaper elsewhere, but I like the shop and the people. They are personable and the shop is not too clean and not too dirty, what a bike shop should be. Not a jewelry store. I enjoy looking at all the old Kawasaki's too, they bring back a lot of memories.

Also, I like looking at my dream bike, a ZX-14, not that it will ever happen. I'd be the one falling off a bike. But it's fun to dream and at least I can sit on it.

The 900LT is one of the best bikes I have ever owned, if not the best and am now more than content.

But if the dealer would give me a good trade on my Buell Ulysses...............

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have the OE type, they are approx 2/3rds the size of the front. I have had them on almost as long as I have had the bike. They are basically the same as the Nomad.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
My better half loves the Kawasaki OEM floorboards, the only comment she has, is that it took her a little while to having her boot sitting on top of the floorboard, rather than having the heel / instep "hooked " into the footpeg, she does not miss the heat coming off the pipes and cooking her foot.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2016
80 Posts
floorboards for around 50 bucks

I just bought a 2009 Vulcan and I already started to add things to it. My wife hated the small foot pegs so I looked for oem and after market floorboards but was shocked at the price. I made my own for around 50 bucks. I went to metal supermarkets 18 dollars and bought 2 pieces of 1/4" aluminium plate 4 x 10" . I also bought a 1" square bar stock and cut 2 pieces 5 -1/4" long. I cut the corners with my chop saw ( a carbide blade will cut aluminium ) and then rounded off the corners with a file. I took the square stock and rounded the ends to fit into the stock brackets. I then placed the flat plate onto the bar stock and rotated it until it was horizontal. Mark the holes for the pin from the original peg and drill the hole. Take the pieces to a qualified aluminium welder he charged me 20 buck and make sure you mark on what side of the square stock to weld the plate on so that it lines up with the holes you drilled to keep the footboard level. I glued a piece of rubber on the top plate and blacked out the bottom. I don't know how to post pics but send me your email and I will send pics.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm using the Kawi rear floorboards. They're great...they SHOULD BE...they're $50 more than Harley gets however (comma) my set has corrosion (rust) problems that I have been battling since 1 week after I had them mounted. I'll get around to replacing the hardware with stainless pieces - which may be what they SHOULD have come with in the first place...I had them put on instead of self-mounting like I usually do...:mad: So...be on the lookout for that.

Otherwise...they work fine. My wife likes them a lot. (i've never used them myself...:D)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Where are you guys finding the OE floorboards.. what's a part number or something. I can't find anything on the Kawasaki web site.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I went with cobra floorboards...I was gonna go with the OEM boards but i got lucky and found the cobra's for 117.00 on ebay, like new condition. I went with cheap boards at first and i got what i paid for. My wife loves the cobra's, their strong and durable and they look great with my new cobra speedster long exhaust!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I went with Cobras, also found them on Ebay for about $100. Totally satisfied.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts