Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked high and low for a black backrest for my '09 900 SE and the only place I can find one is from my local kawi dealer. Do I have other options? I really don't want chrome. That would just be wrong! Please help!

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you want black to match your SE, you only have 2 options. 1 - The Kawi backrest in SE finish. 2 - Order whatever you want, then have it painted/paint it yourself. It shouldn't cost too much or be too difficult to paint if you go that route.

BTW, if you go the non-kawi route, you may try getting your parts directly from whoever makes them and have them skip the chroming process. It'll save you a little bit of prep time.

-RW

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input

Those were my thoughts as well. Figured I could find something decent and scuff it up w 36 grit and shoot it. Hmm... I do like the Kawi version though.
Decisions decisions......

·
Registered
54 Posts
@jran0880 -- You can see the Kawi backrest in my pics (and one pic below). I like it, but I feel it sits WAY too low. I'm trying to figure out a better option atm (everything from having someone machine an "extension" bar to buying a chrome one and painting it (as suggested)).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is a bit low, I'll agree. I'm continuing the hunt. Think I may try a "test" piece of scuffed chrome to see how it holds paint before I decide. Would be nice to buy "direct from manufacture" to avoid chroming process.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm not man enough to try it yet (I want to see how it comes out from someone else first), but this is why I've been interested in the other thread here titled "Black Chrome" which basically is painting chrome black *without* scuffing it up first. If it works fairly well, I may replace the OEM backrest with an aftermarket one and paint it black.

Why I'm hearing the 'Stones right now, I don't know.... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts