Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I’ve had 2 800s now. First was an 02 A I got 9 months again then an 01 B I got 2 months ago. I wanted to restyle the bike with a vintage look and keep it passenger friendly. I live in Hawaii and use the bikes as my everyday ride and for surfing.

I’m starting this thread mainly in the hopes that people that want to have a passenger on their custom can see it’s possible and can look good. I spent many hours searching for food designs and talked to a lot of fabrication shops about making a custom mount for me. In the end it seemed that they either wanted a lot of money or said they couldn’t do it or that I would need to supply the oem fender strut mounts for them to modify. Eventually I decided to do it myself as I’ve done with everything else on the bike. Total cost for this project was $1400 including the bike and all paint and parts. Can’t beat the value of these bikes. I’m happy with the result and she sounds unique and looks the part. Great daily and surf adventure bike. The tires are not bad but do wiggle a lot on grooved roads which we have a lot of here. Anyway hope this helps someone else down the road! I’ve included some photos of start to finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some progress shots along the way. Was thinking of having a removable single vs passenger setup but I have a passenger most days for small trips so although the final result is removable I don’t swap back and forth.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some of the seat and rear modification. Used oem rear struts and an oem vn800A rear fender. The front has a chopped plastic oem VN800B fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last step was making a rear pillion pad then upholstering it. The seats actually ended up more comfortable than the originals. I used the original plastic from the front seat and cut it then added cut foam from a Vstar seat. Used the rear vstar plastic then added extra foam and angled it to make it flat despite the downward slope of the rear fender. Really added to the look of the bike having the flip tail. Was a tough call because it would have been much easier to mount flat.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And just like that all the hard work was done and it was time to surf! Very comfy and solid with the board. My old bmw k100 also loved the board on the side.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Few recent shots from the weekend. Fun to ride all the time. Short and long trips. With or without a passenger. Very happy with this bike and how she turned out. Hope this helps others to stay inspired and creative!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts