Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Yesterday I decided to top up the rear brake fluid with a DOT-4 liquid. I opened the reservoir and I could see some floating black flakes in the fluid in the reservoir. Otherwise the reservoir is clean and the fluid is clear.

Hope your weekend is going well.

Thanks and Regards,
Sharada

·
Registered
83 Posts
You should bleed the brakes at the piston. Get one of those Brake Bleeder pumps, they go for about $30 at any auto parts store.

My guess is the fluid around the pistons will be jet black. That is what I found when I replaced all the fluid in my braking system.

Doc

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You should bleed the brakes at the piston. Get one of those Brake Bleeder pumps, they go for about $30 at any auto parts store.

My guess is the fluid around the pistons will be jet black. That is what I found when I replaced all the fluid in my braking system.

Doc
+1. The fluid doesn't 'flow' through like other systems. Fluid color at the reservoir is not indicative of the quality of the fluid where it counts, that's why regular brake flushing is important. In fact, if the fluid has begun to be yellow or brown at the reservoir, you are WAY past due.

I do mine annually, and even though it's clear at the reservoir, it's long gone at the pistons.

On the 900 there is two bleeder screw for the rear, make sure you bleed from both. (Not at the same time though, but when you do the second one it won't take very much as 99% of the system is flushed).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts