Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I always wondered about but never really got a clear answer. What is the laws or regulations in terms of parking your motorcycle in Canada. What are the unwritten rules (if any?).

Example:
  1. parking on the sidewalk next to a building entrance
  2. parking between cars but not in an official parking spot
I've seen all manner of parking in random spots. I park basically wherever I want at work cause the security doesn't care but outside I take up parking spots.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello all

When I was having parking issues with the parking stall at my work, the parking company informed me that motorcycles are considered a vehicle and have a right to a full parking spot anywhere they park in the city be in an official parking lot or the street. .

I live in Ottawa.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is something I always wondered about but never really got a clear answer. What is the laws or regulations in terms of parking your motorcycle in Canada. What are the unwritten rules (if any?).

Example:
  1. parking on the sidewalk next to a building entrance
  2. parking between cars but not in an official parking spot
I've seen all manner of parking in random spots. I park basically wherever I want at work cause the security doesn't care but outside I take up parking spots.
Your question might be to general asking about Canada. It most likely changes from province to province since driving is regulated by the province you are licensed in. But in Ontario we use a full spot and park on a slight angle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Parking any motor vehicle on the sidewalk is not allowed in BC per the Motor Vehicle Act. Here is Victoria it is the standing rule that no more than four tires per parking space and you must be in a marked space.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
the sidewalk is illegal .... we have put as many as 4 bikes in a metered spot with no tickets .... parking between 2 cars in the middle of 2 spots is just asking for your bike to be knocked / backed over regardless whether is legal or not ... lets face it, a lot of geriatic 4 wheelers touch park whether they have a back up camera or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! Definitely provincial rules create some differences. Sometimes I feel awkward taking up a whole parking spot but rules are rules.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts