Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any particular precautions I should take when parking the bike for 6 months. Last time I did this with my Triumph I left it as low on gas as possible, disconnected the battery and put it on the center stand (not an option now). I'm interested to hear any other ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Personally, I'd follow my winter storage I perform each fall on all my motorcycles, Michigan winter storage is normally 4-4 1/2 months, the longer it sits the more important it is to take a few precautions...

1. Change oil and filter
2. Fill fuel tank completely with Sta-bil treated fuel, run bike several minutes to get treated fuel through system
3. Remove spark plugs and lubricate cylinders with fogging oil
4. Remove battery or leave in bike and place on Battery Tender charger
5. Wash and wax bike
6. Spray WD-40 into mufflers and exhaust drain holes, push plastic bag into exhaust end to keep moisture and small critters out
7. Service/check all fluids... clutch, brake, coolant, etc
8. Properly inflate tires
9. Lift bike off the floor with either racing stands or motorcycle jack
10. Cover

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have no idea what "winter storage" is :) but I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That would really suck to have to park the bike for 4 months :mad: my question is, what do you do for fun when the bike is parked?

97 Vulcan Classic 1500

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my case I'm deploying for 6 months so I won't be doing much for fun.

With the Sta-bil, I assume you just run all that gas out when you start riding again? What about Sea foam instead? My bike will be in my garage with wife/kids around so I probably won't put it on a jack, I should have 6 or 7K by then so if that causes any issues with the tires I'll probably be replacing them shortly after I get back anyway.

·
Registered
735 Posts
SeaFoam won't stop the gas from breaking down. That's what sta-bil is for...

Ethanol breaks down pretty fast. Left for 6 months and your full tank of gas will be half water. I'm not sure what dilutes the gas faster, condensation or breaking-down ethanol. I'd try to find a station that doesn't use ethanol. That might be your best bet.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SeaFoam won't stop the gas from breaking down. That's what sta-bil is for...

Ethanol breaks down pretty fast. Left for 6 months and your full tank of gas will be half water. I'm not sure what dilutes the gas faster, condensation or breaking-down ethanol. I'd try to find a station that doesn't use ethanol. That might be your best bet.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Any particular precautions I should take when parking the bike for 6 months. Last time I did this with my Triumph I left it as low on gas as possible, disconnected the battery and put it on the center stand (not an option now). I'm interested to hear any other ideas. Thanks.
You can bring it up to my place in MD. I'll take good care of it! lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
From the Sea Foam website:

As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam will help clean carburetor jets, fuel injectors, helps clean deposits, adds lubricity to fuel, helps stabilize fuel for up to 2 years and helps control moisture.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Let me say no mater what it takes to store bike, come back to it and you family and thank for your service.

May God Be with You

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use stabil in my jet ski for winter storage, works great. A full tank reduces condensation, stabil prevents fuel breakdown, run it a few minutes to get the treated fuel through the lines. I crank it in the spring and it runs fine. I know you got peeps you work with that look after you and your family during deployments, im retired usaf AMMO and know how the deployments go. If you need anything let me know.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use stabil in my jet ski for winter storage, works great. A full tank reduces condensation, stabil prevents fuel breakdown, run it a few minutes to get the treated fuel through the lines. I crank it in the spring and it runs fine. I know you got peeps you work with that look after you and your family during deployments, im retired usaf AMMO and know how the deployments go. If you need anything let me know.
Thanks, I'll be sure to pick up some stabil before I leave. I can have the wife start it occassionally but it won't get moved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts