Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do our tires have tubes or not? and if they don't can they be patched on the road with a kit ?

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I carry a spare front and rear tube when Im touring, but then again I have the room in my trailer. If I get a flat in the middle of the woods, they might have the ability to repair it but I doubt if they would have the tube. I also carry the equivalent of AAA, specifically for rollback service. I don't worry about it on local rides.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
On the bikes I have had with mag wheels (tubeless) i usually keep a set of tire plugs for on the side of the road emergency repairs and a 12v compressor. On a bike with spokes (Tubed) you best tool is a credit card, AAA type service, or a buddy with a trailer. I like Whiting's idea of the tubes (if you have space). Never thought about hitting a small town tire shop with a tire machine, but no tubes.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Good tow service is your best bet. I had to use it 300 miles into owning the bike. Luckily I was riding on a Saturday close to a shop with tubes in stock. Took half a day but got it towed and fixed all same day.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just carry a tube patch kit and a plug kit. For an emergency it is easy to patch a tube and you don't need to remove the wheel. Then plug the tire and when you get to the nearest city pull in and get them changed. Of course you will need a 12V mini air compressor 10 bucks at harbor freight about the size of your hand.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The problem with trying to fix a flat with a spoked wheel arrangement is that you have to remove the wheel and tire to spoon the tire off the rim before pulling the tube out to patch it. Then you you have to reverse the process to,get it back on. This usually requires that either the front or rear of the bike be raised off the ground while simultaneously managing to keep it stabilized upright. Not to mention all the tools you'll need to do all of this. My advise is to have roadside assistance on your insurance policy or a AAA membership. I guess the AMA offer some sort of roadside assistance program, as well.

Of course you could go the expensive route and replace both wheels with cast aluminum wheels and just carry a tire plugger kit.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I carry two spare tubes on my bicycle in the saddlebag (which, on a bicycle, is a very small pouch that hangs under the saddle). But those wheels pop off with a quick release and tires pop off easily with a couple of plastic tire levers. Pump up with a CO2 canister. Of course, on a bicycle, flats are very common.

On the motorcycle, that's what roadside assistance before! I never considered though, being in some area without tubes available. That seems really smart, carrying spare tubes. Current bike is tubeless.

Just to make things more complicated, a 900 Classic/Classic LT with spoke wheels has "tubeless" tires, but they have tubes in them :D Tubeless is just a rating that has to do with the thickness of the rubber and other things; obviously, being able to hold pressure and survive the conditions of the road without relying on a tube. Tubeless tires can be used with tubes no problem.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Just carry a tube patch kit and a plug kit. For an emergency it is easy to patch a tube and you don't need to remove the wheel. Then plug the tire and when you get to the nearest city pull in and get them changed. Of course you will need a 12V mini air compressor 10 bucks at harbor freight about the size of your hand.
How would you go about doing that?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Or just pay for RSA on your insurance or join ROK. We are talking about a thing that won't happen most of the time. Kudos to those prepared but I'll just pay the extra for help and make sure my phone is charged.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Or just pay for RSA on your insurance or join ROK. We are talking about a thing that won't happen most of the time. Kudos to those prepared but I'll just pay the extra for help and make sure my phone is charged.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I think what's significant about carrying a tube is that even with a punctured tire, in a pinch, a tube can be replaced and you can go on to your next destination. So if you are in a more remote area where a motorcycle dealer might not be nearby or even open, your roadside assistance could tow your bike to a local tire shop, you could provide a tube, and you could continue on your Journey. In Missouri, vehicles sales are prohibited on Sundays, so many motorcycle shops are closed on Sundays (since they can't sell bikes. They CAN remain open to sell other things, but many don't). There are places in this great state alone where you could be 100+ miles away from the nearest open motorcycle shop on a Sunday. But might be 3 miles from an automobile tire shop. Plus, what if the motorcycle shop doesn't have your tube in stock?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I think what's significant about carrying a tube is that even with a punctured tire, in a pinch, a tube can be replaced and you can go on to your next destination. So if you are in a more remote area where a motorcycle dealer might not be nearby or even open, your roadside assistance could tow your bike to a local tire shop, you could provide a tube, and you could continue on your Journey. In Missouri, vehicles sales are prohibited on Sundays, so many motorcycle shops are closed on Sundays (since they can't sell bikes. They CAN remain open to sell other things, but many don't). There are places in this great state alone where you could be 100+ miles away from the nearest open motorcycle shop on a Sunday. But might be 3 miles from an automobile tire shop. Plus, what if the motorcycle shop doesn't have your tube in stock?
That is what I am talking about. I have one ATV shop that is about 30 minutes from home and the closest motorcycle dealer is over an hour away, just from my house. I never thought about the tube idea, but I really like it. But with in 30 minutes of my house I have 8 car dealer shops/tire shops/independent auto shops. They have have a tire machine, and won't have a tube. I mean really, how many cars have tubes in them now a days?

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I would say 99% of the independent and major tire shops won't carry tubes. I know the garage I worked in a few years ago didn't. I do remember one day a rollback appeared in our lot with 3 motorcycles on it, 2 of them had 1 flat tire, the other had 2. They were on a ride and all of them picked up something in the road at the same spot. We didn't carry tubes in our shop, but a quick call to dealer and we had them within 20 minutes. If you need tubes and have the space, it's a great idea to keep spares. It seems there is a tire shop every 20 feet around here, and 2 Kawasaki dealers, 2 HD dealers, a Honda dealer, a Yamaha dealer a Triumph dealer, and a custom bike shop all within 45 miles of my home. And I don't think any of them are open on Sundays.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what tube sizes does the Vulcan 900 use? front and back

1 - 15 of 15 Posts