Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search... cause … well found something from 5 years ago. But styles change and materials advance with time.
Pretty sure I'm going with a 'jeans' riding pants; but I'm open to suggestions.
Any recommendations??

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I've got 2 pair of Bilt Iron Workers pants from Cycle Gear. One in denim and one in khaki (though they do have a couple years of separation on them, so there are slight differences). Both came with knee armor and have the ability to add hip armor as well. Full Kevlar lining down to just below the knees. Interestingly enough the denim pair says no tumble dry (air dry in non-direct sunlight) while the khaki pair say tumble dry ok.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
If it has Kevlar, you might tumble dry it with no heat (and wash on warm or cooler), but it is probably best not to dry Kevlar with heat. Heat, especially dry heat, will break down the molecules and therefore weaken the Kevlar's ability to resist abrasion.

Disclaimer: I don't have riding jeans (I have leathers for moderate temps and a full Kevlar suit for temp extremes). My leather jacket has armor, but not my chaps. If I ever get another pair of chaps, they will accommodate knee armor, at the least, and I hope I can find some that I can find some that accommodate some hip armor.

I've been down pretty hard twice. No hip armor (and having my wallet in my pocket - first lesson learned that day) left a NASTY bruise on my hip the first time. Riding 675 miles home the next day was really tough because of that bruise! There was no armor in the hips of the textile pants I was wearing that day (second lesson learned that day). With the armored Kevlar suit, I walked away from the 2nd accident without a scratch or bruise even though I ended up in a gully, between the bike and a rock wall that I hit hard. My bike was totaled and my full face helmet was shattered. I was run off the road by a car coming the other way on the Tail of the Dragon that time. Point is, Kevlar or leather, and armor may very well prevent serious injury if you are ever in an accident.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Thanks for the insight @Sabre-t Good to hear you made it out of the second accident w/o harm, especially considering the location, I've always been told that help is a minimum hour away out there. I assumed it was the Kevlar that was responsible for it calling for no tumble dry, but never knew why. I've been lucky enough so far to have never gone done, but I accept that fact that one day it'll happen. I'll be looking into finding some hip armor that fits those pants now.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Thanks for the insight @Sabre-t Good to hear you made it out of the second accident w/o harm, especially considering the location, I've always been told that help is a minimum hour away out there. I assumed it was the Kevlar that was responsible for it calling for no tumble dry, but never knew why. I've been lucky enough so far to have never gone done, but I accept that fact that one day it'll happen. I'll be looking into finding some hip armor that fits those pants now.
There is zero cell signal up there and only two phones, one at the Deals Gap Resort, and one at the store across the road. Both were down for a couple of hours that day. It took about 5 hours to get a tow truck.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Research Bull-It Riding Jeans.

They utilize a layer of Covec( more abrasion resistance than 1.4mm leather. Mesh inner lining and heavy denim.

The covec in mine is 60% coverage from hip to mid shin.

I have icon armour in hips and knees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Been riding over 40 years now and have had tons of riding pants. I do about 15,000 miles a year and I'm here as my wife owns a Vulcan S. I ride a Versys 1000.
My favorite pair have been the BMW City pants or City Denim-I have one of each. Made from some kind of cotton/corduar blend and look great if your athletic. They have lots of pockets but best of all they are cut to allow you to sit on a bike with out constrictions. They have 3DO armor and provide great protection. They are fully lined and breath well. They hold up well in spill and the armor stays in place.
The absolutely best riding pants you can get are to send in a pair of your favorite Wranglers or Levis to Motoport in California with a huge pile of money and a few weeks later you will get a pair of custom made jeans in Kevlar Mesh or Kevlar stretch. You will have the best in protection you can purchase. I've had my pair over 15 years and they still are going strong. I wear Motoports most of the time. Go to the website. Drink the cool aide and buy a pair. Thier jackets are also good
Aerostitch is another custom company that I know about but have not tried. Worth a look. What ever you do wear a pair of long pants with at least knee armor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Research Bull-It Riding Jeans.
Seconded. I have a pair of 2016 Bull-It SR-6 and Bull-It Tactical straight leg. The SR-6 are a little thick (feel like snow pants or firefighting ensemble) but don't look too bulky. The Tactical fit better than most of my ordinary jeans, neither baggy nor skin tight. Both have hip and knee pockets (the armor itself is optional on the Tactical). Very competitive price, too.
For what it's worth, I got mine at Revzilla for the free exchange policy (just pay return shipping if it doesn't fit).

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bought the Bohn armored pants and really like them. I wear them under whatever pants I want to wear. On trips, I wear them under kevlar jeans. The armor stays in place unlike pocket armor and they are easy to simply rinse out at the end of a long day. Not cheap, but they are very comfortable, even on long hot summer rides.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up with Cortech from Revzilla. Lots of brands were sold out of 36x32 These fit true to size, and wear like my Wranglers. And they're very plain looking... I like them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts