Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 1600 Nomad. I always wondered why the paint on the front fender sparkled so much more than the tank. I learned why the hard way. My wife's bicycle fell over and took off a chunk of paint the size of a quarter. The shop says it's a different sized flake than stock, so the front fender was repainted... UGH, fix the fender which isn't stock, but close, or repaint the whole bike? Or, repaint the fender to stock color which.... I don't like as much.

I've painted things before and I have a set of fenders and tank in the attic from a different bike that I can practice on. So I 'm thinking about stripping her down and painting her a new color... maybe all candy apple red, or deep metallic wine, or something dark and shiny.

BUT:
1. How do I get the Chrome badge of the side?
2. I'd like to find some templates or something for flames instead of the badge. I'd like to paint it something barely different than the primary color and use a slightly different colored flake so it's not really noticeable until the sun hits it. Anyone have any idea where I can find paint masks? I'm only coming up with stickers that you put clear over... not what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.
Crusty.

·
Registered
445 Posts
CptCrusty,

If you want to match your stock color try going to Colorite.com and enter your info.
As for flames below is a link showing how it's done. BD's cycles will give you all the info you need if you decide to ship your tins for him to paint, he does very nice work.
YOu can see his work on FB just search BD's cycles.
As far as paint mask look for an auto paint supply in your area on online.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152016392242478&theater

Ron

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about matching the stock color, but the flake just isn't as pretty as the repainted front fender. You should have heard the cursing when I watched the bicycle fall over and the screaming as I saw paint chips flying....

If I can get the chrome emblem off the tank, I'll probably not put it back on.... I was PM'd by another member who recommended something called "bag of flames" seems ok for cars, but not sure about bikes... BUT... It gave me an idea.... LOL

If you want their video, I could use standard paper for the and the same technique for smaller surfaces.... gas tank might be tricky tho....

·
Registered
445 Posts
I forgot to mention the badge removal. You need fishing line fashioned like a cheese wire, secured thightly on two peices of wood for handles. Slide under the badge and in a sawing motion remove the adhesive. Good luck post the finished product.

Ron

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about waxed Dental floss? I used the same method to get a mirror off the wall... took a while tho....

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Call around and ask for pricing. You might find it's only a little more to paint everything than it is to paint just the fender. You could probably save a decent bundle by disassembling, debadging, and sanding all of the parts yourself (ask first though; some painters will cut you a dealer if you bring pre-sanded parts, some don't want you to do anything!)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Call around and ask for pricing. You might find it's only a little more to paint everything than it is to paint just the fender.
I've talked to two places already. One on the right side of the tracks, the other clearly on the "wrong" side of the tracks, almost seemed like a chop shop. They both said $2500 to paint the bike....

So far, I'm estimating about $350 in paint if I do it myself. I already have a gun. I did some fade work in my youngest's room with it... brought back memories of painting cars in high school.

I don't mind doing the labor... $2500 just seems like a significant amount of money.....

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I've talked to two places already. One on the right side of the tracks, the other clearly on the "wrong" side of the tracks, almost seemed like a chop shop. They both said $2500 to paint the bike....

So far, I'm estimating about $350 in paint if I do it myself. I already have a gun. I did some fade work in my youngest's room with it... brought back memories of painting cars in high school.

I don't mind doing the labor... $2500 just seems like a significant amount of money.....
Good luck! I've done a little painting. Nothing serious or 'important', stuff like a lawn mower hood (got backed into), little things here and there. I painted my first car, too, it was all rusty when I bought it. With lots and lots of time spent on careful prep and starting with an impeccable 'canvas' I've had good results. I'd probably not be brave enough to paint my bike though. An accessory, maybe. But hey, if you've got the tools and skills, go for it!

$2500 seems like a lot, but I haven't looked into it much. I wanted to get my saddlebags and tourpak painted and a local painter, very well known and sort of famous in the local motorcyclist community (especially for airbrushing and serious custom stuff);I wanna say he quoted me like $600 and said if I wanted, he would paint the tank, fenders, and assorted other bits for a 'couple hundred more' if I wanted to just paint the whole bike instead of just color-matching the other equipment. But I have no clue if that's typical or if he was just trying to make me a deal.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Its all relative. If you have the confidence & dont mind doing it again if its not up to your standards - then have at it. I can paint too, but theres some things I feel better having a pro that does it every day - do. If you have a quality shop nearby & they do awesome work and youve seen some of their work....then its short money to have a "1 & done" job. Theres also "some" comfort that comes from having someone to come back to, if it fails in a few months after completion.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
$599 to do my fairing and bags ... 2 tone with pin striping ... the inside of the fairing was done in a solid color ... the trailer lid and fenders, 2 tone with pin striping $499 and yes, a good painter can match the metal flake ... was this done by a bike painter ... no, just an auto body shop here in town with a paint scanner. BTW I gave them the front fender to match / check with.... $2500 seems a little high to me, but then , its all what the market will pay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts