Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort to further customize my bike I would like to paint all the currently chrome plastics black. Has anyone attempted this? I'm unsure as to what paint to purchase seeing as not only does it have to adhere to plastic but it also has to withstand the relatively high temperatures of being in such close proximity to the engine or exhaust. Also how should I prep the pieces... A spray on primer/paint adhesive or good ol fashion sanding?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have painted similar projects (I HATE chrome :) ) with Krylon Fusion after scuffing it (well) with red 3M pads (found at any auto parts store).

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Also how should I prep the pieces... A spray on primer/paint adhesive or good ol fashion sanding?
I have not done this myself, however it is my understanding that this can be painted. A good automotive paint should be fine.

I had my luggage (very smooth abs plastic) painted with auto paint and they sit 1" off my pipes, i have had no marking or discoloration as of yet. At present my Rad stone protector screen is at the body shop along with other stuff to get painted.

That screen gets hot but i don't anticipate any issues.

Talk to a body shop, advice is usually free.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
In an effort to further customize my bike I would like to paint all the currently chrome plastics black. Has anyone attempted this? I'm unsure as to what paint to purchase seeing as not only does it have to adhere to plastic but it also has to withstand the relatively high temperatures of being in such close proximity to the engine or exhaust. Also how should I prep the pieces... A spray on primer/paint adhesive or good ol fashion sanding?
I did exactly what you want to do about a year ago and it's still holding up. You will need a primer that is meant for bonding paint to plastic. A polypropylene primer is what I used. I followed that with a primer surfacer to achieve a smooth surface before applying the black base coat. Followed that with clear coat. All of this was out of spray cans.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's one sharp looking ride, exactly what I'm going for! Do you remember what color you used or the brands? Black isn't just black anymore, theres a bajillion shades of it

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
That's one sharp looking ride, exactly what I'm going for! Do you remember what color you used or the brands? Black isn't just black anymore, theres a bajillion shades of it
Thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately, I can't help you much with the color. Over here the automotive paint in spray cans is made locally under authority of Leyland Paint Co, UK. The black I used was not brand or model specific...just gloss black. Finished with a gloss clear coat. I specifically finished everything with clear coat so it would be more durable.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to my local Maaco this morning and they said they won't paint my plastics. I was referred to an auto paint shop by a mechanic friend of mine and locally it seems everybody uses Bulldog adhesion promoter(rattle can) and then just a high gloss engine paint over that. I'm going to stop by a paint shop later this week to confirm with them

·
Registered
308 Posts
Krylon will stick to plastic without much prep work, but it's not gasoline/oil resistant; if you dribble gas on it, the paint will bubble up and peel off. If you want something that will resist gas, you'll have to prime and seal the plastic part and then paint it with some kind of alkyd enamel.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm quite sure they'll be exposed to fuel, water, mud, heat, pizza, etc. That's why I was going to go with the engine paint. Is there a clear coat type of rattle can paint that I can apply over the paint to further protect it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used a product called Plasti-Dip, purchased at Home Depot for about 6 bucks. It's the same stuff used on tool grips - sort of a vinyl. It comes in liquid cans and spray. Of course I bought the spray.
( picture the grips on your pliers....they get tossed around, gound under foot, scrubbed, scrapped, and exposed to all kinds of dirt and grime. BUT that vinyl holds up. Yeah it gets dinged and gouged, and discolered in some spots.) I don't imagine anyone's going to treat the bike parts quite like an old pair of pliers.

I sprayed my stock chrome air cleaner cover. It went on smooth and easy.
Since it's a little thicker than paint it seemed to cling better and did not run what-so-ever. It's a nice flat finish that looks like the frame color. After an overnight drying time I sprayed some Rustoleum clear finish over the black.
Since I plan on buying an aftermarket air cleaner kit I wasn't too worried if this paint thing goes to hell.
I would like to paint some other chrome/plastic parts but I want to see if this air cover test peice holds up to heat, weather, and normal road dust.
(That chrome cowl on the tank is my next target.)

So far, so good. I rode over three hours yesterday - so there was plenty of heat and I ran into a light drizzle later in the afternoon. And like I said, - so far, so good. I guess I need to see how it holds up over the long haul.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used the Krylon plastic textured paint with no prep for the air box. I did this a year ago and after four seasons it looks as good as the day I painted it.

The paint job has withstood heat etc. but hasn't gotten any gas on it. As noted above, that may be a different issue.

My two cents

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've painted a few pieces and had good luck by sanding the pieces then wiping them down with 3M adhesion promoter then spraying a coat of Krylon Fusion Primer and finally a couple coats of Krylon Fusion Gloss Black. Works Great!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I emailed Dupli-color and they recommended using an adhesion promoter and then their engine enamel on top of that. A local paint and body shop said this will work but the addition of sanding will help as well

·
Registered
53 Posts
On all my Plasti-chrome I scuffed with sand paper then used regular primer and paint from home depot. I got the cheapest stuff I could find ($1 a can) and its been holding up for a couple years now. All the metal chrome I did the same way except I used a self etching primer and then regular primer. On everything that gets hot I either used hi-temp silicone spray they sell for exhaust wrap or I used BBQ paint, depends on if I wanted it to look flat or satin.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was thinking, and correct me if I'm wrong, I'd scuff up the plastics, then use the adhesion promoter, then the paint. Now I'm unsure whether or not I need to use a primer somewhere in there and whether I need a coat of clear over the paint?

·
Registered
135 Posts
scuff, adhesion, primer, paint ... just did plastic pieces that fit on my windshield wiper mounts on my truck last night, it worked and looked great on my bike so I figured the truck is no different.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No clear or wet sanding after the paint?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I didnt use adhesion promoter and havent had a problem. Self etching primer on the real metal chrome was as far as I went. the plastics were just primer. I didnt use any clear but I was going for a flat look but Im pretty sure a good clear coat will protect your base paint from the elements so If your looking for the glossy look I would use it. I did a little wet sanding anywhere it needed to be smoothed out. you will probably want to wet sand before you apply the clear with like a 600 grit and clear sand after applying the clear with 2000 and then 2500 then polish with a glazing polish or something good like that.
If you nervous about ruining something find some scrap plastic pieces that are similar to what you want to paint on the bike and practice. Then youll know if you should attempt to tackle this yourself or get someone to help you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey AZNewb, I know this is an old thread but I was thinking of doing this same thing. Do you still have the same bike and how did the paint hold up on the plastics?

I want to paint my tank that flat black/grey color but those cherry apple red plastics would like SLIGHTLY off if I don't address them too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have painted similar projects (I HATE chrome
) with Krylon Fusion after scuffing it (well) with red 3M pads (found at any auto parts store).
This is almost exactly what I did with my 2015 Vulcan S. The only difference is I wet sanded mine instead which could explain why acts almost like plasti-dip. I did mine in semi-gloss black.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts