Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone repainted stock chrome turn signals on vn900 classic. i want to change the look of my ride without having to spend alot of money. dont really want to buy new turn signals being that i like the size of stock ones but just want to repaint them.i was thinking of going with a dark flat color,maybe grey, but want them to look good when done. Any help from someone who has done this will help. thanks

·
Registered
494 Posts
ITs all in the preparation get some 2000/3000 grit sand paper and sand good make sure you primer then paint. let the primer dry good first.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've painted my chrome turn signals black and they've held up fine the last 2 years.

Its all in the prep. Sand so that the surface is rough, self etching primer then paint. Make sure to allow full curing before coats.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
658 Posts
have you thought of using krylon's fusion paint (specifically bonds to plastic) or maybe plasti dip?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, i watched some youtube vids on the plasti dip last night and read about the krylons fusion. i think i might use a primer thenspray the final coats on. Seems like the most important thing is in the prep work. probably gonna wet sand after every coat i spray on. i just gotta make sure i sand all the chrome off before i start with the primer coats. Im going to pick up the supplys needed tomorrow and start working on it next week. i'll make sure to take pics to document the process.

·
BOTM Winner, March 2013
348 Posts
Yeah, i watched some youtube vids on the plasti dip last night and read about the krylons fusion. i think i might use a primer thenspray the final coats on. Seems like the most important thing is in the prep work. probably gonna wet sand after every coat i spray on. i just gotta make sure i sand all the chrome off before i start with the primer coats. Im going to pick up the supplys needed tomorrow and start working on it next week. i'll make sure to take pics to document the process.
Please do, I am gonna follow ur work. Can't make my mind up if I should buy new LED turn signals or just paint what I have.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That looks pretty damn good john. were the signals chome before you painted them and if so, did you sand off all the chrome before you started painting?

·
Registered
28 Posts
That looks pretty damn good john. were the signals chome before you painted them and if so, did you sand off all the chrome before you started painting?
Yes they were chrome before. I used 400 grit sandpaper and went over the whole light. I did not sand off all the chrome but you have to make sure there's no more shiny spots. The whole thing has to be scuffed up. Then sprayed 3 coats of primer and 5 or 6 coats of paint. Ordered the smoked lenses today

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
494 Posts
Did you use flat paint to paint them or a satin paint you might think about using a flat or satin clear coat to protect the paint from the weather just a thought.

·
Registered
273 Posts
signals

Nice job. I too was thinking of painting the chrome. Wasn't sure what color, my classic is black also. Never heard of or used the plastic dip paint but it looks like it did a great job. From what you said, you didn't sand them or anything? What color do you think looks best with black bike, the grey or black?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, so when you guys painted your signals, did you take them off the bike. im working on it right now and cant figure out how to just get the chrome part off. i can take the whole signal off but i still have about a 2" black piece that i dont want painted.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts