Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a year ago I got my hand on an extra set of stock pipes for $50, and decided that it was time for me to attempt the debaffling process. Not exactly sure how most people do their "stage 2" debaffling process. But I grinded the welds down on the sleeves, slid them off and actually cut my mufflers completely out before the cats. No regrets! Deff loud, but I like it that way. I get compliments on the bike and the way it sounds all the time.

Now.. What has been driving me nuts for almost year though is the way the ends of my exhaust looked. After removing the end plates leaving that nice wide opening at first looked fine.. Then slowly but surely condensation and rain settling at the bottom would cause almost a rust look. Not cool!

So I decided to go to autozone and buy some sand paper and VHT( very high temperature) spray paint in flat black. And try to give the ends of my pipes a little makeover.. And we'll I couldn't be happier with the results!

A little bit of taping off the bike, 10 minutes of sanding, and 3 coats of paint later.. They look great!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Don't mind how dirty my bike actually was either lol.. The chrome on the pipes was pretty dirty between all the rain lately and pollen.. Ohh I hate the pollen!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I've got the full debaffle too. (Stages make no sense to me. De=remove baffle=baffle. Debaffle=remove baffle, right? So I debaffled my bike, I removed the baffles. Anything else is just a 'modified baffled')

Sounds great, not as loud as some aftermarket- a nice sweet spot between ear-bleeding loud and quiet stockers. Bikes runs great also! Now- every bike is different (some bikes in some climates need a fuel processor stock it seems like!), but with a stock intake my bike runs fine, and checking plugs after a couple thousand miles confirms it's not running excessively lean or rich, (the bikes do run a bit lean from the factory). I'm happy I did it!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Last person who had my bike did the same , it is a much better look

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
Been thinking of removing the end plates and cutting down the inner pipe and drilling some holes. Has anyone done that??? how does it sound?????

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Been thinking of removing the end plates and cutting down the inner pipe and drilling some holes. Has anyone done that??? how does it sound?????
Yes, lots of folks have done that. They call it a stage-something-or-other debaffle. (IMHO, it's only a debaffle if the baffles have been removed. So I just call it 'modified baffles')

Now, I went through all of the 'stages' with mine, all in the garage, didn't sound right until they were gone. This is just one mans opinion, but any modification of the baffles (holes drilled, etc.) was too 'coffee can' sounding for me. It basically takes the high and fairly tinny stock exhaust, and makes it louder. When the baffles are completely removed, the sound is not MUCH louder (except at high RPM), but it's much, much deeper. It only sounds aftermarket when the baffles are out.

So my recommendation for folks is just to yank 'em out and be done with it. Sounds better, it's quieter than aftermarket, but louder than stock. The 'sweet spot' for a lot of folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2gRAu4CLr4

Skip to the one minute mark to get an idea of what these pipes sound like, completely debaffled, through the rev range.

·
2,855 Posts
Had a lady move over the lane on me. She heard the new horn I put on. It's suppose to rain here all day Saturday here so it's a good time to ice down some beers get out the cigars and work on the pipes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
GFISH, I would suggest drilling out the center screen first then ride it. I have the center screen drilled out and had 4 half inch holes drilled. Never did really like the sound so I had a friend make 2 stainless steel washers which I used to cover the 4 holes using gasket maker and self tapping screws. Now it idles quiet and definitely has that v twin rumble when accelerating. Sounds much better.

·
2,855 Posts
GFISH, I would suggest drilling out the center screen first then ride it. I have the center screen drilled out and had 4 half inch holes drilled. Never did really like the sound so I had a friend make 2 stainless steel washers which I used to cover the 4 holes using gasket maker and self tapping screws. Now it idles quiet and definitely has that v twin rumble when accelerating. Sounds much better.
So your saying run a drill bit in the center of the pipe and drill?????? if so what size drill bit?? And that sounds better than stage 1&2????? Anybody else done that????

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's about 3/4 to 1 inch. Many people have used sharpened rebar and punched it out, Actually that's what I did, reluctantly, but it worked.
I found the better sound by accident. When I decided to cover the 4 holes I was attempting to make it a little quieter, didn't work. Now it's no quieter but much better sound. I'm very happy with the result.

·
2,855 Posts
It's about 3/4 to 1 inch. Many people have used sharpened rebar and punched it out, Actually that's what I did, reluctantly, but it worked.
I found the better sound by accident. When I decided to cover the 4 holes I was attempting to make it a little quieter, didn't work. Now it's no quieter but much better sound. I'm very happy with the result.
So your saying take some rebar punch the screen out. What happens to the screen? Does it just rattle around? Any chance of them damaging anything being loose in there? What about drilling? Do the shavings left in the pipe cause any problems?

Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
When you punch a hole in a piece of metal everything just bends back from the hole and don't actually go anywhere. I did this when my bike was new (2 weeks old) in 2009 and no problems. Don't do anything you are not comfortable doing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts