Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall,
kind of smitten at the new 2020 pearlblue/white two tone.

not including the labor to pull the feners/tank, how much youthink that would cost a reputable paint shop?
best guess

also, is the white on the two tone fenders/tank on the new 2020 the same white on the grey /white 12'?

was wondering how hard is to do that as a DIY, unless i really need a booth, seriously thinkin bout it.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
I agree that color combination is eye catching.
2020 Phantom Blue / Pearl Blizzard White
2012 Meteor Gray / Polar White
Do not recommend doing paint yourself, unless you have the proper equipment and expertise. Not terribly expensive to have it professionally done.
My friend just had his Harley tank and fenders painted black. Was $400 plus paint.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for posting that tourer. but just black? this is two colors ( and i hear Pearl) is more expensive color, so i am thinkn 500$ even if i pulled the fenders/tank off.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Liondog, Two colors with pearl paint involved. All the more reason to have this done professionally. Take some pictures of the bike and then hit the body shops, either in person or online.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wait, their both pearl paint.... wat is abot pearl paint that makes it so exp. and in high demand?

is that much diff. than polar white? i have the grey/polar white in 12'

·
Registered
66 Posts
Piggy backing on this thread, I was looking for opinions on painting a front fender Candy plasma blue. Looks like everyone feels it's necessary to go to a shop to get it done right. Wondering how much you guys would estimate the price would be to paint a nomad front fender (metal currently gloss black) to candy plasma blue to match the 07 900 custom color?

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Would imagine just to paint the fender should be a couple of hundred plus the cost of paint. Might save some money if you do the prep yourself.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks Tourer. That’s what I was thinking, around $250 probably plus paint, espescially in North Jersey where everything is more expensive just because. Found the paints and kit on Color Brite. Comes to about $115 so now I’m thinking about giving it a shout myself. Worst case in out there $115 and I still have to have a shop fix it, but I’m thinking my meticulous attention to detail will prevail and it’ll turn out fine.
Anyone have any thoughts on the color brite rattle can kits?

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Candy paint usually requires a specific color base coat. Is that the case with this paint. If your handy, give it a shot and paint it yourself. Would not use spray cans. Get a paint gun from Harbor Freight. View some videos on prep, mixing paint, and spraying techniques. Wear a mask. I usually paint my own stuff because learned when I was young. Worked in a body shop. Best scenario, turns out great. Worst, its down to the body shop. Have fun.

·
"Manila Gorilla"
2008 Vulcan Classic 1600
138 Posts
Ive painted a few cars on my own. My advise, stay away from rattle can unless you are going flat, and I'd pick up something slightly better than a harbour freight gun. The one I have loves to randomly spit, real pain to clean up. Watch youtube videos before you do it if this is your first time. Lots of great tips and youll see how much work is involved. Prep is often overlooked, but is one of the most important steps. If the surface isn't prepped correctly the paint won't sit smooth, it could peel, or you could end up with fish eyes. Take your time, and wet sand between every coat. This will ensure a smooth finish for the next coat. Get a decent buffer to polish and shine that clear coat when you are finished. Its not hard, but takes patience to perfect.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quick update: I gave it a shot with the rattle cans and got close, but no cigar. Shopped a few body shops by me and the best they came up with was to buy the paint from color rite and they’ll spray it. Local guy was real nice, went through the whole process with me and showed the differences between the closest chromacolor match and the candy finish that is on this bike. Since it’s so much tin right in front of the tank I really think it needs to match perfect, so I’ll be eating the $88 I spend on the paint myself and the hours of labor are chocked up to education and have them spray it out over the winter. Till then, I’m rocking this short little sprtster fender I mocked up, which looks pretty cool cus it shows off that fat front tire. I’m just going to spray that flat black and call it a day.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Well at least you gave it a shot. You have a great attitude to chalk it up to an experience. To get 100% results, paint is one of those things that is sometimes better left to the professionals who have the proper equipment. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks @Tourer I try to look at everything as a learning experience. In this instance I learned that auto painting is more difficult than it appears, and much less forgiving.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so this discussion is doin well...wana throw a wrench in it, if i went to the saki dealer, ,wat would they charge me to turn it into the 2020 green/blizzard 2tone?.....you think....i asked around local shop to give my tins , they want like 750$ and 2 weeks

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Thant sounds like a normal price for two tone. If it includes the paint, then it is even better. If you plan on keeping the bike, make yourself happy and go for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts