Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone every painted their exhaust? I have an 09 Custom SE, and the black pipes have a few scratches that I'd like to cover. Any suggestions on paint, prep, ect. would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
742 Posts
HI TEMP

any auto parts store sells it specifically for engine components. i used it on my pipes after cutting and modding them, other than scratches and having to repaint to touch up it works great.

·
Registered
37 Posts
After I debaffeled mine I painted the inside ends of the pipes. I didn't like the look of it all that much. I decided to paint some "tips" on to see how that would look. I really liked the look and it has stayed that way.

I used flat black 500 deg. engine paint.
I measured and marked the radius around the pipe. I then used 3M #471 1/4'' vinyl tape for masking the curved line. (Leaves a real sharp line also.)
Lightly sanded chrome with fine grit sandpaper.

I just went out and took a pic. Bike is a little dirty from riding all week. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
After I debaffeled mine I painted the inside ends of the pipes. I didn't like the look of it all that much. I decided to paint some "tips" on to see how that would look. I really liked the look and it has stayed that way.

I measured and marked the radius around the pipe. I then used 3M #471 1/4'' vinyl tape for masking the curved line. (Leaves a real sharp line also.)

Looks great nice job

·
Registered
228 Posts

Top notch look! Great job!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Very nice!
My biggest concern is the paint on the head pipe. I've read that it is hard to keep it from bubbling off. I'd hate to have to take the exhaust off every few months to repaint it. Maybe I'll try some black header wrap around the first 8 inches or so.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Home Depot has automotive paint for temperatures up to 2000 degrees. Thats what I used on my headers and pipes and have had no issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts