Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just ordered a set of hiway pegs from meancycles. They will be coming in chrome. I have a SE and HATE that awfull shiny stuff. Has anyone attempted to paint chrome? I don't want the cost of powder coating these things either.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I am looking into starting a company that sprays on chrome without all the harsh chemicls. Its a new prosses just out can do anything will give more info as I get it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's a pain in the ass but you can paint chrome. Just score the hell out of it with a brillo pad or something. I just painted some today lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Depending on your access to material - you can etch the chrome off with a weak acid or sandblasting. It'd at least score the hell out of it and allow the paint to bond.

Stay clear of the hydrochloric or muriatic acids as they'll apparently heat the chrome and go after the base metal before the chrome is gone.

If you're looking for flatblack, are you opposed to Plastidip?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was kind of thinking about using a bake on finish that I have used on firearms before. I would prep it just like I would to spraypaint them but paint this coating on them bake it in the oven. I think a spray can of it is like $20

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just checking into the thread, I have some saddlebag supports and genmar risers, both chrome. I have the 2009 SE Custom as well. I was thinking rustoleum flat black but am curious about the plastidip. I seen a guy on here used it on his cafe windshield for his custom, looked sweet. I've never heard of plastidip before then. I'm wondering what would be better for a simple spray can job..plastidip or rustoleum. Easier the better for me lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just checking into the thread, I have some saddlebag supports and genmar risers, both chrome. I have the 2009 SE Custom as well. I was thinking rustoleum flat black but am curious about the plastidip. I seen a guy on here used it on his cafe windshield for his custom, looked sweet. I've never heard of plastidip before then. I'm wondering what would be better for a simple spray can job..plastidip or rustoleum. Easier the better for me lol.
I painted my front turn signal housings polished black with Rustoleum Primer and Paint in Gloss Black. Scuffed them up with 180 grit, washed, dry, and spray on. 2 coats within 30 minutes worked best. It looks and worked great!

·
Registered
747 Posts
If anyone has a NON-SE and they want some blacked out parts, I have the following parts forsale from a SE 900.

Coil cover
Coolant resovior cover
speedo shroud
Triple Trees

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Chrome painters? Isn't there a special place just for em?
*nods*

It's a sad place though. A dark and lonely place. Where everyone in the world looks the same but claims to be original, because they painted everything black!

(Just kidding)

+1 for powder coating. Looks better, often cheaper, lasts longer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I started painting today. I am going the plasti-dip way. Cost me about $20 in materials. I am going to spray a couple coats of gloss enamel on when I'm done with the plasti-dip coats to help protect it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
+1 on plasti-dip. I have been working on painting my chrome black with the same stuff. My best advice, clean your parts well beforehand and apply 5 or more coats for best durability. Good luck!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
273 Posts
take some fine grit sandpaper, sand the crap out of it, spray the paint on evenly, let it dry, ride on.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i work in the paint department in a lumber store. The reason paints have a hard time sticking to chrome is the gloss finish. That is actually the main reason latex has trouble sticking to oil based paints. Clean the finish to get any oils off the chrome, rough the surface up with a 120 sandpaper, prime it with a really good primer, Bin 123 is a good choice, then paint with your choice of paint.

I am also an SE rider and plan on painting some of the chrome, but I think I'll try to match the frame colour as apposed to black. may also try to match the orange in spots.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts