Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there ever get just plain tired of the look of there 900? I currently have a 09 custom se, and while I enjoy the heck out of it, it just feels so /blah when I look at it these days.

So, who out there has actually spend the time/cash to add some new flavor to there candy finish....and how much did it set you back?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I totally understand where you are coming from. I wanted something very unique, and so spent the time and effort to find an excellent painted, and the color I wanted. Sorry mine is a classic, so you might not think it looks as good as I do, but here you go.

·
Registered
76 Posts
While I am not tired of the look of my 2010 Custom SE, I have been planning on some custom paint since before I took it home. I think the entire point of having a motorcycle is making it unique. I would think that painting the tins on a bike should be a lot cheaper than doing a car. Pull the parts and prep them yourself to save some money.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The Plasti-dip craze is full swing now. Just buy a few cans of colored plasti-dip and spray paint the bike. You get a nice clean finish that requires very little prep (just wash it), and once you get bored of that, just peel it right off..

Don't laugh, people are really doing that!

·
Registered
365 Posts
While I am not tired of the look of my 2010 Custom SE, I have been planning on some custom paint since before I took it home. I think the entire point of having a motorcycle is making it unique. I would think that painting the tins on a bike should be a lot cheaper than doing a car. Pull the parts and prep them yourself to save some money.
Just don't expect TOO much of a discount. I've painted bikes where the guy thought I should get half of what I original told him because he "prepped" the parts. I still ended up having the do more prep work ( a paint job is only as good as the prep work) because I knew they wouldn't be happy with how the job turned out if I didn't. At the VERY least, the painter has to go over the prep work and make sure it's up to their standard. There's still the material cost, paint time, layout time, aribrush time, clear time, buffing, and final detail work.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I know exactly what you guys mean. I have been thinking about getting mine painted for a while now, just to "jazz" it up. I really like the look of a marbled finish:

You get the idea. I am not a fan of in-your-face flames, but subtle ghost flames look cool in my opinion. I do want to stick with red, as that is what colour mine is right now.http://www.cuttingedgeillusions.com/gallery/gallery_sets.php?s=897

Of course, for some reason, I have always envisioned my bike with a marbled paint job and lightning, kinda like this, but a deep red like in the other pictures above.

Now it is a matter of finding a reputable painter/airbrusher/artist to do it that won't charge me an arm and a leg. I would pay fair price, but I have heard of prices ranging from $400 to $3000!

Matt

·
Registered
166 Posts
Due to someone screwing up communications, a construction project in my parking garage blasted my bike with a ton of concrete dust. Now the paint is pitted and scratched to heck. (yeah, I even washed it carefully by spraying it off before using a cloth to clean it).
So I may have to repaint it eventually.
I have always loved the candy green and orange paint jobs. I love 2010 Classic Blue, but if I'm going to spend bucks to get it repainted, I might as well change the color.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I still like ghost flames. Someday something like this, but the price at $1,800 has kept me from pulling the trigger.
That looks sweet. $1800? I'm in the wrong business. Not that I have the talent for that anyways.

I love the look of custom paint jobs; ghost flames, pinstripes, marbled effect, skulls, lightning etc.. But I have seen some that are way over the top to the point of ugly.

I think my red 08 Custom is too plain jane for my tastes. One day. I'll start saving my pennies. Or learn how to airbrush!

·
Registered
950 Posts
The Plasti-dip craze is full swing now. Just buy a few cans of colored plasti-dip and spray paint the bike. You get a nice clean finish that requires very little prep (just wash it), and once you get bored of that, just peel it right off..

Don't laugh, people are really doing that!
I just watched a few You Tube videos of people doing it. From the video it looks easy and very affordable. There's a company out of Florida that even sells car kits, complete with air brush, plasti-dip, tape, etc... Now you got me thinking.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
That looks sweet. $1800? I'm in the wrong business. Not that I have the talent for that anyways.

I love the look of custom paint jobs; ghost flames, pinstripes, marbled effect, skulls, lightning etc.. But I have seen some that are way over the top to the point of ugly.

I think my red 08 Custom is too plain jane for my tastes. One day. I'll start saving my pennies. Or learn how to airbrush!
Saving mine, but will take a while after all the mods this year. Air brushing would be fun to learn. Some 20+ years ago I bought a starter air brush kit thinking I'd learn some day. It's still in the box new....:(

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Bosco, I've got 2 airbrushes. Never had paint in either one. Though I have used one to spray alcohol when I'm cleaning clock movements.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Bosco, I've got 2 airbrushes. Never had paint in either one. Though I have used one to spray alcohol when I'm cleaning clock movements.
That would be neat to learn for sure. There are a couple of local guys (well known) and when I'm ready, I'll go to them for pricing and ideas. But, that is at lest a year away.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I had my V2K painted recently, i went with house of color chameleon blue to green. Also had the fender smoothed out and installed a license plate that sits in the fender with run/turn/brake built in. Watch the you tube video to see the color change, it was about 1500 for everything. The paint is from BD Cycles , he does tin exchange

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Decals. Cheap and effective.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I had my V2K painted recently, i went with house of color chameleon blue to green. Also had the fender smoothed out and installed a license plate that sits in the fender with run/turn/brake built in. Watch the you tube video to see the color change, it was about 1500 for everything. The paint is from BD Cycles , he does tin exchange
That is a beautiful color. I bet it looks great in the sun light.

·
Registered
953 Posts
That is a beautiful color. I bet it looks great in the sun light.
thanks, it REALLY pops in the sun. Bryan at BD CYCLES did a great job. He usually keeps tins in stock so you can pick out your paint job and send him your old tins when he is done so there is no down time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts