Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2010 nomad,black and silver,thought silver was metallic titanium
ordered colorite,came in and seems way to dark,called them,got blah blah,any thoughts on this??? could it be different then met titanium???? thought that's only color on 2010,not sure where color code is,not happy,is a tiny chip but not the point

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
Try a finger dab on a scrap piece of sheet metal and let it dry...

May not look as dark as when it's in the can and wet ...
Also, new paint versus "old" paint will be different ...

Most importantly ...
Sunlight is true light...
Never judge paint under fluorescents ...

Luckymann77

·
Registered
20 Posts
And make sure you thin it properly and mix mix mix well beforehand too.
Is it supposed to go on top of a light color primer coat?
Good luck

·
Registered
101 Posts
I"ve had a set of hard bags in the body shop for a month now it seems even with the VIN the paint spec is pretty well hidden. I'm also under the impression there are more than one spec per year depending on what plant it came from. Mine is red and titanium. I had to leave the bike so they could mix the paint onsite. I was a bit ill but they simply want it to look good. I'm good with that. This isnt a fly by night shop so if they have a problem with the resource available to them this may be tougher than you think.

Good luck getting a match,
Jimmy D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, I think we all believe that it will be a simple thing. Just order the paint and it will be an automatic match. Sadly, 'taint so.
Here's an alternative I plan on doing with my bike. Paint the part a different color altogether. Forget matching if possible.
In my case I am rebuilding a 2011 Vaquero that someone put 2000 miles on and then crashed. I got it for low money as a salvage and I have to replace the whole front fairing and dash, saddlebags, crash guards, fork covers, front brake line, and handlebars.
But I have a batwing style fairing w/ stereo off a old 1976 Harley Davidson FLH that I had sitting around already. Yes I've been riding that long. Longer actually. It's black, as is replacement saddlebag.
So I plan on painting the fairing and bags to actually match each other in black; with some custom graphics painted on top of that (most likely flames) and I avoid all that matching stuff and can buy leftover paint cheap to do what I need.
Maybe you could just paint some graphics on your bike in the spot and avoid all the trouble? Or outline some graphics in the area where the replacement/repair part is going with a different color and put your new silver on the inside of that where it won't be right up against the original painted surface. Mis-match won't be so noticeable then.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Paint fades in the sunlight also making it look lighter than origanal. The red on my 05 800b almost looked pink after a couple years compared to what was under speedo not exposed to light. Some colors are more likely to fade quicker I believe, silvers being one of them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice and responds,If anyone gets paint,DO NOT GET THE PENS,they are awful,color still seems dark,used a tiny brush and filled in the chip,still not happy w it
Drummer,primer is still there,just topcoat came off
Graphics do sound cool,maybe I will put a couple of magnets on it,Irritated as hell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts