Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally started my paint project that I came up with last year. I fell in love with the SE orange and black from the get go. I never liked the chrome on the Hypercharger, so I decided to fix it and a coil cover at the same time.

I have a black trap door and butterflies for it as well. I think it will look good when I get it done. Should take me a day or two to get it put back together.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking pretty sweet! Should look awesome on your bike.
Thank you!

I was able to get out and put the bike back together. The pic isn't all that great.

The shed is too small and poorly lit to get a good shot and it has been raining/snowing almost all day. With the flash on, the orange looks red for some reason. I will get some better shots up when the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
VERY nice! I'm with you, it looks much better on the SE than the chrome. Great job.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am thinking about doing something similar with my classic. I want to paint most of the chrome a gloss black to match the bike. I was just wondering what brand of paint you used and how you preped the chrome.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliments. I know the pic. is less than desirable, but the weather has been about the same for getting a good shot. The color is off just a tad, but you have to look real close to see it.

Here is what I did to paint it. First I sand blasted all the chrome until there was no hint of a shiny spot. Then I primed with Sherwin Williams self etching primer. I let that dry over night and then applied multiple coats of SEM high build primer surfacer. Light sanded with 600 grit and applied the orange. The auto body paint shop mixed me up an aerosol can of the orange that was closest match. I believe that it was an SEM product as well.

HTH
Max

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally had a somewhat decent day to take some picks. The orange is off a bit more than I thought, once I was able to get it in the sun. I still think it turned out fairly well.

You can see some of that pesky white stuff in the background. Another 5" fell on Monday. With any luck it will all be gone by the end of the day tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts