Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 900 Classic LT. It is two tone blue and silver, with the pinstripes Kaw clear coated on. Any ideas out there how much it should cost to get the bike stripped down, prepped, primered, and cleared. Tank, fenders and side covers. I'm thinking a solid metallic color. I'm not super creative....

Thanks!!
Brandon

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a 2006 900 Classic LT. It is two tone blue and silver, with the pinstripes Kaw clear coated on. Any ideas out there how much it should cost to get the bike stripped down, prepped, primered, and cleared. Tank, fenders and side covers. I'm thinking a solid metallic color. I'm not super creative....

Thanks!!
Brandon

This depends alot on the shop doing it and the materials they use. It also depends on if you are taking the tins off or are they?

If you are having this all done by someone you are really best off checking the local shops people here can really only give you a VERY rough estimate which probably won't help alot.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meet with a well recommended shop next week, I just wanted to help lower the shock a bit. Anyone went with a solid color LT? Can you post pics?
Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
165 Posts
I meet with a well recommended shop next week, I just wanted to help lower the shock a bit. Anyone went with a solid color LT? Can you post pics?
Thanks,
Brandon
I would make a very rough guess that you are probably looking at least a grand for a decent job. This is HIGHLY dependent on the quality of the paint good paint is not cheap. I would not be surprised to see the primer, paint and clear (along with all their reducers etc) to run 500-600 alone.

·
BOTM Winner, October/2012
291 Posts
If its still in factory paint and its not all chipped or cracked, there really wouldn't be much reason to "strip" all the old paint off. If someone were to bring me in a set of bike tins to my shop and just wanted a solid color it would be somewhere between 800-1200, depending on the quality of materials used.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Just repainted mine last winter, have about 350 in paint, primer, and clearcoat plus sanding supplies. Had couple estimates to have it done. 1100 to 1500. Thats why I did it myself.Up side also is, now I can say I did it. The clear is expensive. Got upper mid grade at 120 a quart, but the clear really makes it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I may paint my own bike there really isn't much to it just mostly prep time

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
365 Posts
It all depends on quality. I'm sure you could find someone to do the job for around $200 out of their garage, but it's probably not gonna be a good job. My old partner opened a MC specific paint shop, his paint jobs started at $2500 for a Harley Sportster and he did at least a couple full baggers for around $10,000. Be aware that most car shops don't really WANT to do MC paint and may price their paint jobs accordingly.
I would GUESS, for a two tone (they'll have to take the lines out if you want it to look good) to a single color will cost around $1500.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Heres what I did and I am by no means a painter. My 9 was passion red and wasnt crazy about. It had a few minor scratches so needed to do something. I took the tank and plastics off, sanded off clearcoat but left red for base coat. Rattle canned black over the red and immediatly covered in suran wrap and pulled off while still wet. Let dry, wet sand a bit then used spray max 2 part rattle can. The results from spraymax is awesome, wet gloss finish and gas resistant. My total cost....
1 rattle can good black paint- $10.00
Sand paper, tape, etc- $10.00
2 cans spraymax -$50.00
Total $70.00
A resperator is a must with the spray max. If you have a garage to do this in and some patience, could save a pile of $ :). I am very happy with how mine turned out and the bragging rights of doing it myself. ImageUploadedByMO Free1357495468.830703.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1357495515.684768.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

Thanks!!
Brandon
My classic was done by a automotive paint shop ... non OEM paint ... not exactly what you want but it will give you some idea of pricing ..

Fairing, 2 tone with pin striping, clear coat, and bags, just 2 tone with clearcoat ... $699

The trailer 2 tone, pin striping and clearcoat with solid color fenders.. $699

my custom ... solid matching non OEM paint .. fairings (bullet and batwing), inside and out $499

bags, the same .. $499

As stated, non OEM paint was used, my guy has a paint scanner as well as the codes for colorite paint mixes ... i also gave him a fender to match to. I would imagine using an automotive paint with clearcoat would be fine, no matching issues and minimal prep.

Striping the bike down costs dough, do it yourself ... I would say that a competent job for you would cost around $1000 for a good quality , one color, clearcoat job ...

remember, if you want 1st class oats, you gotta pay for them, want a second class price, the oats will have already gone thru the horse first.

A good painter is a prize worth keeping, bad ones are a dime a dozen.

hows it all look ...

good luck on what ever you decide.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, thank you. That gives me a really good idea what to expect. Now to get back taxes and give some of to the Classic. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but Whiting what code is that color on the custom? It looks a lot like an old Pontiac Blue, or a newer Mustang Windveil blue.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but Whiting what code is that color on the custom? It looks a lot like an old Pontiac Blue, or a newer Mustang Windveil blue.
Its the stock 2010 kawasaki candy blue.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Its the stock 2010 kawasaki candy blue.
Whiting, Did Kawasaki has different blues for 2010 (Classic vs Custom)? I ask as I have a 2010 Classic, and it's much deeper blue, and I need to color match for the new fairing, bags, and trunk (though the trunk is pretty close right from Mutazu).

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went down to the "new" auto body shop in my hometown. There was a falling out in an established local place and the good people all left and started this shop. I've seen their work and was impressed. I was quoted $700 to strip the bike down, fix a couple bruises, remove the sticker pinstripes and two tone paint it with the stripes painted back in. I'm planning on doing it. I like the blue and silver combo, but if anyone has any pics of other good two tone combos on the Vulcan I'd like to see it.
Thanks,
B

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
thats a good deal ...

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm not sure about where people live that have given some of the quotes, but in the Chicago area, the average paint job for tank, side covers, fender, headlight housing, $1500-2000 for solid color, candy with clear. I spent $1700. Labor rates account for most of the cost. If you use Colorite (OEM colors) you'll be paying ~$100/pint ea of base, translucent 2nd coat or final clear coat. You can buy house of colors for alot less (don't remember actual cost), or go with PPG if you want a single color coat/clear for $50/qt. All of the prices are based on my research and actual paint jobs I had done . One paint job was for color matching my 900 Candy Plasma Blue saddlebags 4 years ago @ ~$375-400. The other paint job was the whole bike ($1700 on parts mentioned above) about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Thanks!!
Brandon
I went to Auto Finishers here in Rochester, NY and they scanned my bike color (2010 Vulcan Classic 'Imperial Blue' ) and mixed me some spray cans. The match was excellent. I scuffed up the finish on some new Tsukayu bags (fine wet sanding and Scotch-Brite) wiped them very clean and sprayed them myself.
This was my second paint job. I sprayed some smaller bags a couple years ago. Both came out very nice. I also bought a clear two-part clear finish from the same place. I spent arond a hundred bucks for the two bags. The clear was more than the paint (per can).
There IS a 'learning curve'. Keep spraying, a light coat every ten, fifteen minutes, wet layers bond with one another better. Keep it light, avoid runs and don't freak out with what appears as a 'blotchy' drying process. It'll all even out as it dries. Areas with slightly heavier paint appears darker than thinner areas creating that 'blotchy' look. Avoid trying to get the very last drop out of each can - they tend to spit. If you dry a layer overnight...scuff the dried finish before resuming any process.
Now this is just for solid colors. Two tone or special effects is another story.
I also scuffed up a few chrome parts and painted them black. And everything - the black and blue have held up well.
I'm going to repaint my whole bike this year (changing the blue to an undecided color) myself. Except for the tank. I think metal is a little trickier than plastic. I'll bring the tank and air brush designs to a pro(s).
Personally, after painting the bags, I have no fear doing this myself - except for the tank. Fenders and side covers - no problem.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts