Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of painting the inside portion of the rear pulley black and leaving the +/-2" outter portion as is. I've seen a few folks do this what have you used for paint and how has it lasted? Here's a pic, will it be too much black?

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never liked the way that cover looked bare and thought it needed something. The cover was a fun diy project, printed the logo onto a transparent decal sheet available @ Staples. Attached to a round electric box cover plate and covered w/automotive clear, 15+ coats. Used JB weld to attach to the coolant cover...gets lots of compliments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with Rustoleum products in the past with similar projects. I would remove the pulley to get best results. Clean it well, soak it to get all the road grime off, and scuff it up really good. Then I'd use the Rustoleum gray automotive primer, then flat black. There may be better products out there but I've never had an issue with them.

Gloss black may look better (better match the bike) but I'd be concerned about it amplifying dirt and road grime, and the finish not lasting as well as flat or matte black. Just my $0.02

Sharp looking bike!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cut 12 more slots in mine, then polished it. Polished would go good with your bike. Or paint rim and polish center

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had pretty good luck with Rustoleum products in the past with similar projects. I would remove the pulley to get best results. Clean it well, soak it to get all the road grime off, and scuff it up really good. Then I'd use the Rustoleum gray automotive primer, then flat black. There may be better products out there but I've never had an issue with them.

Gloss black may look better (better match the bike) but I'd be concerned about it amplifying dirt and road grime, and the finish not lasting as well as flat or matte black. Just my $0.02

Sharp looking bike!
thanks for the prep tips, Rustoleum is readily available here

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cut 12 more slots in mine, then polished it. Polished would go good with your bike. Or paint rim and polish center
That looks great, what did you use to cut the slots? Never thought about polish yours looks pretty good, what steps did take take to get the polish look on your pulley.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wilbur: found the thread on the slots and the polish, how long would you say the polish took to complete? Are we talking all day project?

·
Registered
75 Posts
It took a couple of hours on the lathe. Started with 400 paper, then 600, then 1000. We do alot of polishing molds, so I used diamond compounds, but you could use rubbing compound, polishing compound , then simichrome polish. The slots were put in with a edm wire machine. i drilled the start holes, wrote a program, and set it up on my off time. The good thing is now that the program is written, its good to go on the next one I have. Bought one on ebay and did all the work to it, then took mine off and swapped out the finished one.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2013
207 Posts
Love Wilbur's pulley, but if you decide to go with your original idea and paint the center of the rear pulley, I think painting the center of the front brake rotor to match would look pretty cool. You have me thinking about doing it to mine now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That would work, or reverse the black and polished.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts