1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
430 Posts
That's horrible... My condolences go out to his wife and son. Can never be too careful with people in cages, especially when they're that old... So sad.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Blue knight's

Blue Knight's Florida 30 wishes to send our condolences to the family of the lost member, and to the chapter as they morn their loss. As ride coordinator my concern for my members is always the utmost concern as I plan our events.
Sincerely,
Fred Oliver..R.C...Qm

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the update . . .

It has tainted it yes - but we will be back next year! Come on out to the longest running rally in all of the Blue Knights hosted by Virginia II!

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is what gets me:
" An 84-year-old Culpeper County man was charged with a traffic infraction in the accident last Thursday that claimed the life of an off-duty police officer from Philadelphia."

A man is dead, and he only gets charged with a traffic infraction?!?!?!?!
When are they going to take motorcycle deaths seriously?
If you can't see a bright red, 600lb+ vehicle on the road, you shouldn't be driving.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear you, but from my experience working the road, I also get the fact that people of all ages pull out in front of and merge into lanes occupied by tractor trailers or other vehicles claiming they didn't see see it. While a reckless driving charge or involuntary manslaughter charge are more comforting to the motorcycle community; the PD, in consultation with the Commonwealth attorney in cases like this, have to charge the most appropriate charge. If the lane were occupied by a tractor trailer, and the guy pulled out in front of it and bent some metal, would he be charged with reckless driving? No. It would be an improper lane change or a failure to yield right of way. Unfortunately, traffic infractions can have as tragic implications as a violation of the criminal code. As a cop who has charged infractions in vehicle related deaths, I can tell you that most offenders punish themselves more than the justice system can with an infraction and probably more than the justice system could with a criminal charge. On the civil side, it doesn't matter - fault is fault . . .

I'm not going to second guess the charges . . . My wife was never happy with the charges of any of the guys who have wrecked into me and put me in the hospital, and no matter how much I explain it to her, she never sees it this way . . . Always saying how easily they could have killed me - to which I reply that it still wouldn't change the underlying violation . . . to each their own . . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts