Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone please educate me.

I have a 2105 Voyager and have been thinking of getting Cobra Tri Ovals. None released yet and I've seen talk about it being because the 2015 has an oxygen sensor installed in the slip on portion of one of the pipes.

If this is in fact a "downstream" sensor, installed behind the catalytic converter, what happens when the non catalytic aftermarket slip on is installed?

My knowledge is limited to understanding that a downstream 02 sensor is there to verify that the catalytic converter is working properly and signals this fact to the engine management system.

See what I'm getting at? Will an aftermarket slip on wreak havoc in as much as the 02 sensor will now send info that looks like the catalytic converter has failed? And trigger an FI error?

Anyone have an idea on this?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Very interesting, I look forward to the replies to this. I have been waiting for Cobra to come out with the 2015 slip ons that will be California approved. I did the stage 1 on both of my previous HD Ultras and I don't want to go that route any more. I want a little more sound but also want to keep it legal so if California starts inspecting bikes. I got to think that if it happens it will be California to be the first State to implement this.

·
Registered
138 Posts
we already have the 02 sensor in ozz, but it is up near where the two pipes meet not down near the mufflers ,i think you will find kawa will leave it there as it needs to be as close as you can to the motor .
you can also put a 02 eliminator in to remove them if you dont want it but they do work well at getting good fuel economy if set right.
i have removed mine and replaced it with the auto tune which is a wide band 02 sensor coupled with the pcv5 so i can fine tune the bike as i ride

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, but that's different from a downstream sensor, which looks like how North American '15s and up are equipped.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This diagram shows the O2 sensor in the muffler, but before the muffler body. If this is correct, then you shoud be able to weld a bong into the new muffler like this and be good to go. 2015 Kawasaki VULCAN 1700 VOYAGER ABS (VN1700BFF) Muffler(s) | Cheap Cycle Parts

Well, this answers the question and thanks! That is NOT a downstream sensor, thank goodness that it's done this way. This tells me... no issue with slip ons on the 2015 and up and the only hold up from Cobra and V&H is making the production change to accommodate the sensor and bung.

Thanks again for this.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Should be very simple to verify by slipping your hand up under the heat shield, before starting the bike when cold. and feel for the sensor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i gave you a bum steer had a look at my old muffler it is at the rear right muffler just after the slip joint so it is removed when the muffler is removed
sorry for incorrect advise
the slip ons we get here usually have the bung in them maybe welded once there in ozz or we fit the o2 eliminator which is the most common thing
some have had problems with the o2 eliminator ,i myself havnt had any issues

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's fine. In that location, it's still upstream from the catalytic converter, so it shouldn't be an issue once cobra has the pipes with a bung available.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Someone please educate me.

I have a 2105 Voyager and have been thinking of getting Cobra Tri Ovals. None released yet and I've seen talk about it being because the 2015 has an oxygen sensor installed in the slip on portion of one of the pipes.

If this is in fact a "downstream" sensor, installed behind the catalytic converter, what happens when the non catalytic aftermarket slip on is installed?

My knowledge is limited to understanding that a downstream 02 sensor is there to verify that the catalytic converter is working properly and signals this fact to the engine management system.

See what I'm getting at? Will an aftermarket slip on wreak havoc in as much as the 02 sensor will now send info that looks like the catalytic converter has failed? And trigger an FI error?

Anyone have an idea on this?

I received this email today from Mike Lance at Cobra about when they would be releasing the new pipes with the 02 sensor.

"We should have the new mufflers for the Voyager by the end of this month for sure and they will be legal for California. We already have the Fi-2000R available for your model bike. Thanks for asking Cobra, ride safe."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts