Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 05 V2k. the original owner had a illness a couple years back that ended his riding days. Most of the chrome and other metals had alot of oxidation (surface mostly). I got alot of it off with chrome polish and elbow grease. I was just wondering if you guys had any "tricks of the trade" to remove some of the more stubborn areas. Mostly down on engine itself. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
What sort of oxidation is it?

If it's pitting (black, rough texture) there's not a lot you can do, except whip it in as best shape as you can and protect it.

Otherwise, I'd get a microfiber towel and some good chrome polish and keep doing what you're doing. Don't forget to put something back on top of it (wax, or whatever your favorite protectant is) to prevent more oxidation.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just bought my 05 V2k. the original owner had a illness a couple years back that ended his riding days. Most of the chrome and other metals had alot of oxidation (surface mostly). I got alot of it off with chrome polish and elbow grease. I was just wondering if you guys had any "tricks of the trade" to remove some of the more stubborn areas. Mostly down on engine itself. Thanks in advance.
This oxidation you speak of grasshopper, would it be what we call rust?

·
Registered
267 Posts
WD40 and #0000 steel wool. Rough up to smooth out the steel wool on any other metal just to take the new bite out of it. I've used this on stainless firearms with good results.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Had a white oxidation on my 08 when I brought her out of storage this last spring. Used a Chrome cleaner with no avail. So thanks to this site I tried the 0000 grade steel wool on my spokes first and then used on all my chrome. Brought it back to a showroom shine and I was elated with the result.

cuyahoga...what do you use the WD-40 for? With the steel wool or after as a protector?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The "oxidation" of which I speak, was mostly a cloudy film that was on chrome. It was a bit rougher on backside of aluminum forks. This poor beast was under a motorcycle cover outside for the last two years. I was mostly curious on what your recommended cleaners and sealers would be. There is some light rusty pitting on the small tubes outside the cylinders. Yes, I am having a brain fart and can't remember the correct name for them at the moment. I also have been working some leather cleaner and conditioner into the seat. It was really filthy too. A work in progress, but DAMN I already love this bike.

·
Registered
397 Posts
For rust on chrome, I've had great luck with the 'wet aluminum foil' trick. You basically just get some fresh aluminum foil and wet it and most of the rust will wipe right off. Other oxidation, I don't know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts