Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks ago I picked up my new (2009) Classic LT. I'm very happy with it but ...I noticed that under the seat there is a "tool box" but it is empty. The users guide talks about these tools and makes reference to a spanner wrench used to adjust the rear suspension pre-load setting.

Anyway ... I called the dealer saying that the tool kit was missing and the response was that it doesn't come with a tool kit !!!

Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true ? Did your bike come with this tool kit?

·
Registered
658 Posts
2 weeks ago I picked up my new (2009) Classic LT. I'm very happy with it but ...I noticed that under the seat there is a "tool box" but it is empty. The users guide talks about these tools and makes reference to a spanner wrench used to adjust the rear suspension pre-load setting.

Anyway ... I called the dealer saying that the tool kit was missing and the response was that it doesn't come with a tool kit !!!

Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true ? Did your bike come with this tool kit?
Don't want to call your dealer a liar (he is), but my used 900 custom came with one... I would call back and raise a little hell. How are you supposed to adjust the shock without a kit...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I also wouldn't want to call your dealer a liar... your bike may not have come with a tool kit.

It's supposed to come with a tool kit, however, and he should supply one to you. Ask him to request one from the manufacturer and give it to you for free. He should have offered to do that without your asking.

Frikkin' dealers. :(

·
Registered
64 Posts
Agreed, my 900 Custom SE came with the tool kit! Give 'em hell til you get what you want! Good luck to you!

·
Registered
782 Posts
As said above, if it was a new bike, it should have included a tool kit. Big-K sends one with it. If it was a used bike, then who knows how it was sold to the dealer. In either case, you do probably need to have those 2 spanner wrenches that come with the kit. If nothing else, the non-spanner end is used to take out the oil cap.

Also, after you get a stock tool kit, go out and buy some real tools to keep on board. The hex wrenches and other bits are really cheaply made in the stock kit. I keep a tool roll on my handle bars that include Metric JIC (Japanese) phillips head screwdrivers, a set of metric wrenches (socket, allen & hex), an LED flashlight, wrenches for all the parts on my bike including the US standard size stuff that I bolted on, fuses, and anything else I think I might need.

The first time I broke down it was due to a bolt on the left floorboard that had vibrated loose. This made it so I couldn't shift. I tried to use the stock wrenches to steal a bolt from the right hand side. All I did was round out the inside of the wrench, cuss & sweat. My wife finally had to come get me. I had to leave the bike there and go get a trailer to get her home. All over a stupid loose bolt. The next weekend I had a real tool kit with a spare floorboard bolt inside.

·
Registered
711 Posts
They do come with it. Pretty much worthless but on a emergency it will help. Call them back and tell them all of your 900 forum members are stating tool kit came with it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The standard tool kit also has a spark plug removal socket. If you use it, you do not need to raise the gas tank. That and the spanner wrenches are the handy tools in the kit.

·
Registered
950 Posts

I recently purchased a 900 myself. Upon delivery, the dealer showed me where the tool kit was located. I just went outside to verify that I was not crazy. Under the seat is a plastic box with the words "Tool Kit" on it. Inside was a plastic sack of tools. Your dealer is not being honest with you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
he's probably a dirtbag dealer selling your said tool kit on flea bay for a couple extra bucks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mine came with one also. However I took the tools out of the pouch, and have never been able to get them all back into the pouch. But it came with a very full pouch of tools.:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
No kit here, I've never questioned it though. I bought my bike brand new from a well respected dealer, can't see them removing it to sell separately that's just ridiculous.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bought mine new in April. I noticed no tool kit and went back to the dealer. They told me some have them and some don't. We even looked at the bikes on the show room. Some had them some didn't. They did give me the tool kit when I requested one at no charge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone know what size the spanner wrenches are so I can just buy them and make my own tool kit? My used vulcan also did not come with the tool kit.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You don't have to take that. Go get your little bag of cheap tools from the dealer!

Actually, I've replaced most of mine. Except the spanner wrenches, which I broke trying to adjust my shock (seems to be tighter than most). The spark plug tool looks like it will be handy, though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My bike was also delivered with the tool kit missing.
I went back and they handed me a tool kit. I told them, actually I prefer the CORRECT tool kit. The cheap one they tried to send me away with did not include the rear shock adjuster wrenches, (2) each. So, check your manual and get the right one.

That and the fact that 1) my mirrors were flapping in the wind on the way home after delivery because they were loose, 2) my grease zerk was pre-broken and 3) loose bolts on the back rest/luggage rack that I paid to have them install had loose bolts really made me glad that I bought the service manual when I bought the bike. Great dealership, but the service department has some serious issues and should consider the implementation of a random drug testing program. Most likely they'll never see my bike again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts