Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone inquired about or found an oversized fuel tank for the 900's? I have done multiple searches over the past few months and have not found any aftermarket products. I think it would be nice to have a 6-7 gallon tank instead of the stock 5.3 gallon.

·
Registered
847 Posts
fuel tank

I bought my 9 based on the fuel tank cap. In 07 there weren't many outside the HD brand that had 5+ gal. tanks. I thought it very unusual to ahve toe 1500 and 1600 with only a 4.3 gal tank and you better not use over 3 gal. befor filling. Makes no sense. What good is it on a trip?

·
Registered
847 Posts
120 miles between fill ups on a trip on a larger bike is a joke. whay can't they put the 5.3 tank on the larger bikes as well? Well,, they could and maybe do now, but not in 07. The suz. 1500 has a 4 gal. tank at 35 mpg where can you go?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I haven't seen any for the 9 but if you were really serious you could buy a used tank and take it to a tank shop and have it expanded. I have seen that done.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't seen any for the 9 but if you were really serious you could buy a used tank and take it to a tank shop and have it expanded. I have seen that done.
You are correct, I have looked at that option but it can get pricey. I am hoping there is an aftermarket option that is a direct bolt on. If not, the spare tank option will be explored further.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Even the V2K is a 5.5 gal.
When I was regular on the VN750 forums a guy on there modified a VN900 tank for his 750. Went from a 3.6 to 5.3.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'm ready to stop by the time it's empty! But I think the only real solution here is going to be an aftermarket/custom job. A guy has done it on the 1700, and it's done on some other bikes too; but mounting an aftermarket fuel tank elsewhere on the bike (luggage rack, passenger seat, etc.), along with a small 12v fuel pump tapped into the fuel tank seems like a neat solution. The way I usually see it done is as you get low on fuel, you open up a shutoff valve and hit a switch to turn on the pump, and refill your tank as you ride.

With fuel injection it get's a bit more complicated because you can't just tee into another tank, you need the fuel pump. So refilling the tank on the go seems like a better solution.

Another thing to consider is carrying fuel on board? Either a mounted-on fuel can or one in the saddlebag or something. Get creative and I bet you can get a couple gallons of fuel on board and you just need to pull over and refill.

The 900 does have a 250+ mile range. That's pretty good, all things considered.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rescue Wagon - I had come across that option previously. It is interesting but I am not sure about permenatly mounting a Keg looking tank on my ride. Definitely an option to concider tho.

Romans - I feel your pain on needing to stop around the time the tank is getting empty. However, these 104 mile daily commutes (roundtrip) is what I am mainly concerned about. My low fuel indicator comes on at around 180-195 miles. According to the manual this indicates 0.8 gallons remaining. I know others have stated 1-1.3 gallons remaining, but my manual for this 07 900 LT clearly states 0.8 gallons. What this means is that I can get 2 days on a tank (208 miles) before having to fill up. My thought here is that if I can get another 2 gallons that would extend my time between fillups to 3 days. In addition I have attempted the Iron butt Association rides and obtained 2 of their certifications (SS1000 & LGL1000). What I found was that my low fuel indicator was coming on at around 170-175 miles due to the higher highway speeds resulting in lower milage. This caused me to have to fuel up 7 times along the trip. I plan on making more attempts at some of their other certifications. Extending the range would mean less frequent stops for fuel. They do mandate a stop every 300 miles (maximum). So an additional 2 gallons would put me right up against that mark.

I did talk to a local fabricator this weekend. I will be exploring 2 options over the winter. The first is to expand the tank (will be obtaining a spare tank for the project). He estimates an increase of 1-1.5 gallons without adding risers to the handle bars. The second option will be to install hard saddlebags and have him fabricate an insert (with pump) for one of the bags. If I go with the patrol bags like I have been planning he estimates he can get me the 2 gallons I am looking for easily and should be able to get close to 4 additional gallons total.

As always, thanks everyone for their thoughts. Now I just need to figure out which option I prefer (or both) and start saving the money.

·
Registered
270 Posts
IMO 5.3 is plenty. thats about 250 miles per tank. if you ride over 250 miles non stop you are THE MAN. hats off to you

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
maybe you can change pulleys. lower rpm but reduced umpf.
Yes, changing the pulley ratio would improve fuel economy. It is something I am concidering for a later project. For now I like the umpf the 900 has stock. I am looking more to extend the range by 50% or more. Pulleys alone will not do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, changing the pulley ratio would improve fuel economy. It is something I am concidering for a later project. For now I like the umpf the 900 has stock. I am looking more to extend the range by 50% or more. Pulleys alone will not do that. Thanks for the suggestion.
No offense to you but 50% or more, REALLY??? Maybe you should just buy a PRIUS.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No offense taken. I wouldn't be caught dead in a Prius. As I have implied earlier, the fuel economy of the 900 is more than fine for me. I am just looking at increasing the time between fuel stops. If this isn't for you, to each their own. I know people that can't stand to be in the saddle for more than 100 miles before needing to stop and stretch. Me, I have no problem putting in 600+ miles in one day.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Someone wants their motorcycle to go farther? That's the opposite of someone who needs to get off a bike and find a Prius.

I applaud guys who ride enough to care how far their bike can go! Sure beats 3,000 mile a year garage queens!

I wouldn't mind a bit of extended range myself for commuting. On a long trip I'm ready to get off when she's empty but it'd be nice not to have to get gas during the week when just commuting with it

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Sure beats 3,000 mile a year garage queens!
Hey... I resemble that remark... :p

Working from home has it's advantages, but missing out to commute on the bike isn't one of them. Short trips to the store during the week, and longer trips on the weekends is great, but keeps the mileage low. So yea, I'm a garage queen..... :&

1 - 19 of 19 Posts