Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I laid my 500 down just before Thanksgiving. Thankfully it was petty low speed, and things didn't get hurt too badly. Broke my leg, and scuffed a few bits up on the bike...

Biggest damage to the bike was a scuffed fuel tank. Well, kinda. It scuffed it up enough to show me it already had damage the had been filled previously. No wonder the bike was in primer when I bought it...

So now I was thinking... Can I put an oversize tank on in place of mine? Maybe something from one of the bigger Vulcans? Has anyone done this or know of someone who has?

Thanks in advance!

BTW, posting a couple pics of my bike showing damage to the tank... First is sitting in line at the shop where i work, and the second is a more close up view of the damaged area. Yes, its fixable, but if I can make an improvement for my use, I'll put this tank on the shelf as a backup.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
While not being entirely knowledgeable about the 500, I'm fairly certain that it suffers the same fate as my 750 does. The tank is unique to the bike with nothing else being a bolt-on. My tank is 3.8 gallons and I've long wanted to add another couple to the capacity. For a while I considered adding a rear mounted auxiliary tank. BikerBill has a 500 with almost as many miles on it as to be measured in light years. He has an aux tank that he can expound on intelligently.

He's probably about the best fella in here to advise you on all-things-related to the en500.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha yes, I have been reading up on some of BikerBill's posts. Freaking amazing the mileage he has racked up on his bike. He also gave some great pointers in my other thread regarding a single seat.

I'm personally wanting to stay away from an auxiliary tank on the back. I use that rear area for storage and/or cargo on a regular basis, often odd shaped pieces, so on and so forth.

I'm hoping to extend the 140ish miles I get on a tank while maintaining something close to factory styling.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Well, just FYI, I've looked into having my existing tank widened by 2" on each side to add extra capacity/range. There are several places within 15 miles or so of my house that can do that sort of work. The cost for doing it seems to settle in the general neighborhood of $1500. This includes a simple paint job, too.

Up until last year it was just a thought exercise since my annual mileage that I'd accrue wasn't really all that much and didn't really justify that expenditure. Spending that much lettuce wouldn't have been cost effective. However last year I put many more miles on it than had been my here-to-fore average. And this coming up year I anticipate putting on much more mileage than last year. Enough so that spending that much makes it a more viable option.

I mention all this because, while your cost may fluctuate from my local cost according to your location, it'll still be a sizeable lump to shell out unless you really plan to roll around a lot.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A bit more to it than just that scuff on the tank.

Took some time yesterday at work (local bike repair shop), and went over the bike pretty thoroughly. Found some issues I didn't see at first.

*Handlebars are bent slightly. Even knowing what I'm looking for, its barely noticeable with bare eyes.
*Shifter lever is bent, but not the shift shaft. Swapped the shift lever for a spare part at the shop and everything shifts nice and smooth.
*Clutch lever needs replacement. The groove the cable rests in got scrubbed almost completely off.
*Right side mirror mount broken. The one thats integrated into the front master cylinder clamp. Not entirely sure how it got broke, since that side of the bike was up, but strange things happen.
*Rear fender and rear reflector both got cracked. Not such a major issue, but more work nonetheless.

There's a couple other cosmetic issues, scuffed finishes on parts, that kind of thing.

Not to stray too far from my original subject here, just not entirely sure where else to post it all.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Here's another possible option you may want to consider.

Obviously you'd want the larger tank for riding longer distances? If so, add saddle bags to the bike with a 1.5 - 2.0 gallon fuel bladder in each one. When fuel gets low in the main tank, remove bladders and pour 1/2 of each into main tank to keep weight evenly distributed in the rear. Depending on the bike, could add 160-220 miles to your range.

This of course assumes you don't already have full saddle bags on the bike.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting thought Jet.. I have a set of hard bags I picked up to put on it, but haven't gotten around to modding the brackets to mount them.

If I had more time yesterday, bossman had a carb'd 1500 Vulcan on the lift next to mine... I should have broke mine down and test fit the tank. I did look pretty close, and the length looks real close to the same. It was noticeably taller and wider, but not noticeably longer. No clue if the mounting points are the same, but its a thought...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
My range is highly dependent upon if I'm going on 40 to 50 mph back roads or the freeway. Keeping the speed down below 52 mph (to keep the main jets from kicking in) means I can get mid 50's in MPG which means longer range. When its revving like no tomorrow at freeway speeds my MPG drops like a rock down into the low 30s MPG-wise. So when riding long distances at freeway speeds I like to gas up at around 95 miles or so even though the math says I can go a bit farther.

Adding an extra couple of gallons would/will significantly increase range. But I'd prefer that extra couple of gallons to be in the tank, not in carry-on additional containers. Its still a good idea though and I actually do take an extra gallon with me in my bags. So far I haven't HAD to use it but I know its there which is mind-settling a bit. I don't want to have to stop, unpack enough to get to it and so forth but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

If this coming up year produces the amount of miles ridden that I am predicting then I'm pretty sure I'll eventually spring for the tank-widening surgery. I know there is at least one other 750 rider that has done this. If the cost wasn't so damned high there'd be a lot more.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I currently use 4 MSR aluminum stove fuel bottles that hold about one liter each. Two fit nicely in the bottom of each of my two GIVI 33L Trekker hard bags. The extra 1.1 gallons gives me about 60 extra miles and brings my total available fuel to just under 5 gallons on the Vulcan S. Total range is about 300 miles now, if needed.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I've been using four SeaFoam containers (empty of SeaFoam, of course) filled with gas. I put a couple of wraps of duct tape around the tops just to make sure they stay shut. They've been riding around in my saddlebags this past year with nary a drop leaking out. Two in each bag. That works out to just about a gallon total give or take a smidgeon, enough to give me an extra 30 to 50 miles down the road. Now that I've got a throw-over storage bag to flop over my fuel tank I can carry quite a bit more if need be.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SeaFoam cans... That's a good thought. I use enough of that stuff between home and work that I always seem to have cans rattling around. Its certainly a good thought if nothing else pans out. With the different sizes, I can tuck them all over the place in the various storage pouches I currently use. I might even take the time to sand and paint them to match the bike when I get around to painting the bike hahahaha

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I wrap a strip of red tape around the cans so I know which are gas and which aren't.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts