Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I read from Vaquero specs "6 gear with overdrive". What does this mean exactly ?
Is this a separate device\gear case ?
How to "activate" this overdrive gear ?
Or is it just the 6th gear but with very high rear ratio ?

Thanks
Marcel

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I do believe 5th and 6th are overdrive ratios. Nothing special to do, just shift as normal, the ratios are just over drive gear, meaning the output shaft turns faster than the input in these gears.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do believe 5th and 6th are overdrive ratios. Nothing special to do, just shift as normal, the ratios are just over drive gear, meaning the output shaft turns faster than the input in these gears.
Clear for me.

Thank you.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hi,

I read from Vaquero specs "6 gear with overdrive". What does this mean exactly ?
Is this a separate device\gear case ?
How to "activate" this overdrive gear ?
Or is it just the 6th gear but with very high rear ratio ?

Thanks
Marcel
.....or just watch what your RPM's do when you shift up into the top two gears, they drop significantly in 6th which is great for relaxed cruising on fairly flat roads

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the Nomad with overdrive and I don't even use 6th gear until I am going 70+. Lots of hills where I am in NC. I love the 6th gear though on the interstates.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I used my 6th gear more often and at lower RPM after I had Ivan reflash my ECU. I am able to use 6th more efficiently at RPM's down to 1800 on the highway.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Hey, Yep 6th is just a higher gear ratio for cruising highway speeds
I see all over the erroneous use of the phrase "higher gear ratio" when referring to "higher gears" such as 6th gear. I even see this in m/c magazines!

"Higher gears" (like 6th gear) are in fact "lower" gear ratios NUMERICALLY. Take for instance the 1700's have a 2.933 to 1 ratio for first gear (thus the correct term of high gear ratio applies here), and 6th gear is a .806 to 1, thus the correct term is low gear ratio. "Overdrive" ratios are numerically less than a 1 to 1 ratio.

As has been stated 5th is also an overdrive, 5th being .967 to 1

RACNRAY

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey, Yeah you are right but you are thinking about it backwards and that is why it is considered a higher gear ratio. So it the input or the drive pulley has to turn 2.933 times to turn the output pulley or the rear tire 1 time so by the time you are in 6th gear and the input is now turning 0.806 turns to turn the output rear tire 1 time it is the output that is turning at a higher ratio or higher gear.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ok I explained that wrong,
But same principle the drive pulley and the rear tire pulley ratio is fixed it is the ratio between the transmission gear and the drive pulley that changes.
Same thing though in first gear the gear turns 2.933 times to turn the drive pulley 1 turn. In 6th gear the gear turns 0.806 times to turn the drive pulley 1 time. So if 6th gear turned the 2.933 times the same as first gear the drive pulley would turn 3.63 times thus the output is a higher ratio than the input
I think that's right

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
OK...This is very simple....this is math, simple math. Numerical.

I am gonna use arbitrary numbers. It's gonna be so simple.

Take 5 to 1. Look at the numbers closely, five to one. THAT is a HIGH ratio of those numbers TO EACH OTHER.

Now, how bout 2 to 1, that's two to one. THAT is a LOWER ratio of those numbers TO EACH OTHER, and to the above example.

How bout 1 to 1, one to one. That is an even ratio and is the LOWEST ratio of these 3 I have depicted above.

Now get this, anything LESS than 1 to 1 is an even LOWER ratio, and in drive train jargon is called an "overdrive" ratio.

To achieve higher speeds one may use a higher gear in the transmission but it will be A LOWER RATIO.

So many people get this backwards, I been a m/c mechanic for over 41 years and these are the facts.

RACNRAY

1 - 11 of 11 Posts