Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am guilty of drastically over analyzing mods that I make to my 08 classic. I have spent WAY too much time reading, researching, re-reading, agonizing when in fact they are no brainers:

1. De-baffle. I wanted a louder exhaust, but is a de-baffling exhaust too loud? I did stage 1 screens and carefully listened for weeks, then stage 2 holes and carefully listened for weeks, then removed the baffles altogether. I freaked out. Damn it, it is too loud. my neighbors will hate me and my wife will never ride with me again. That lasted until later that day when I pulled up next to a Saleen Mustang and his exhaust was as loud as mine. Without baffles the Vulcan sounds like a motorcycle. It is louder and throatier than with baffles. If you like a quiet ride leave them in, but without baffles, the 08 classic is by no means a loud motorcycle.... and now I LOVE the sound and no one around me thinks "man that's loud".

2. Seat. After my 1st 2.5hr ride on my stocker, my butt hurt sooooo bad that I swore I would not ride for more than 20min again on that seat. Then the research began. Saddlemen, Corbin, Mustang, etc. Everyone had an opinion. Sits you up higher, pushes you forward, backward, etc. How can you pay big bucks for a seat that you cannot even try before you buy? Well I jumped in and got the Mustang without the backrest. Does it push you forward? Does it sit you higher? All I know is now I sit UP with my back straight! I no longer slouch. That is the major change.... and oh yea. My A$$ DOES NOT HURT! Maybe soon I'll add some risers since I now sit straight instead of slouching, but I can ride for a while and not do the "traffic light dance" after 20min in the seat now.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts on these two mods. Sometimes I just have to remind myself that I should spend more time riding and less time analyzing.

Oh yea……. anyone got opinions light bars? (here I go again….):D

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm guilty of the same crime!! And I asked this question too many times, but still haven't found a convincing enough answer, so here it goes.. Between Stage 2 ( 8 holes on the baffle) and debaffle, is there a big difference ?? Is it worth it ??
I like the sound on mine since I drilled the holes and puncture the back screen, But never is enough !!! I read somewhere that it gets louder when you debaffle but losses that "deeper" sound that the drilled baflles gets.
I've been to the point that I had the hole saw ready to take them out and didn't do it.
Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
Safe ride to all !!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I listened so closely at the different stages that it is all jumbled together in by rum soaked brain. All I can say is that now it is as de-baffled as it gets and it sounds "right" :cool:

·
Registered
213 Posts
OOhhh Mannn!!! I'm suffering the same pain.....(A$$) :eek:I have now a 1 hour one-way ride to work on the highway and my A$$ gets NUMB. !!! Loking forward to find a more comfortable seat on my trip to Daytona for the Biketoberfest.:D
Safe ride to all!!:cool:

·
Registered
657 Posts
LOL... at least you're honest enough to tell the rest of what most of us go thru in self-enduced psychobabble!!! I'm looking at an exhaust upgrade and think the same thing. I go to work at 5:45 in the morning and can't help but wonder how many neighbors I wake up. The reality is I more than likely don't. I debadged the bike, but think the tank looks too plain so I'm shopping for something on the side of it. I've narrowed it down to three possibilities. After playing the "which-seat-do-I-get game, I'm going up to Shasta Lake next week for a Russell Day-Long for my maderatza.

I have the Cobra lightbar and am really happy with it (got a swinging deal on eBay). I wired it inot the aux. line in the head lamp and hooked up a relay switch to the low beam so that the lightbar is only on when the low beam is on (complying with CA state law). The lamps that come with it are only 25 watt. You can either switch to 35 watt halogen or 55 watt hyper-whites (which I did). The street lights up pretty good now when I come home at night when working evening shifts!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guy I spoke to at Corbin said that I could get 10% off if I visited their place in daytona during bike week. I didn't think my a$$ could handle the ride from Palm Beach to Daytona though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bones for the weigh-in on the lightbar upgrade. I was starting to think as a minimalist as everything on the bike seems to be BIG (including myself). I was looking at the Baron Ultimate Lightbar http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?model_ID=125&Category_ID=45&manufacturer_ID=167&product_ID=16635&related=short or the Kuryakyn Driving Light Bar with L.E.D. Turn Signals http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=45&manufacturer_ID=16&product_ID=7866&sblid_name=Kuryakyn_Driving_Light_Bar_with_L_E_D__Turn_Signals_for_Honda_Shadow_Sabre&model_id=125

Anyone have these?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, I rode to Leesburg from Palm beach in april, but I think I was more excited than anything else 'cause I took the bike a couple days before from the dealer and did the trip with my son, which was an incredible experience.
I'll have to do the trip with stock seat again and hopie to get a good deal up there. I'm an hour closer now, since I moved to Port ST Lucie.
Well, if you go to Daytona be safe and ENJOY IT !!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TCRider, how old is your son? Did you ride 2-up or does he have his own bike? My parents live seasonally in Ft. Myers so this winter I'll be making some trips accross with my daughter 2-up.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'm guilty of the same crime!! And I asked this question too many times, but still haven't found a convincing enough answer, so here it goes.. Between Stage 2 ( 8 holes on the baffle) and debaffle, is there a big difference ?? Is it worth it ??
I like the sound on mine since I drilled the holes and puncture the back screen, But never is enough !!! I read somewhere that it gets louder when you debaffle but losses that "deeper" sound that the drilled baflles gets.
I've been to the point that I had the hole saw ready to take them out and didn't do it.
Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
Safe ride to all !!!!!
I am nothing but satisfied with taking the jump. I went from 4 holes to 8 holes, and rode that way for two weeks, and like you, I thought "This is nice, but not enough!" I finally took the nervous plunge and removed the baffles. I didn't lose any of the "deeper" sound, just got some extra volume, and I get comments all the time about how nice my bike sounds. Most people that ask want to know what aftermarket pipes and baffles I went with, and all are always shocked when I tell them they're still the stock pipes with all of that "emissions jumble" (catalytic converter and such up front) still intact!

Never once have I heard a complaint about the bike being too loud, either. :D If you accelerate calmly, you can slip out of the neighborhood without setting off touchy neighbors, but when you roll on the throttle, you can still get that adrenaline surge that says "I'm riding a BEAST!".

If you're still thinking "not enough" with the stage 2 holes, jump in man. You're gonna love it!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am nothing but satisfied with taking the jump. I went from 4 holes to 8 holes, and rode that way for two weeks, and like you, I thought "This is nice, but not enough!" I finally took the nervous plunge and removed the baffles. I didn't lose any of the "deeper" sound, just got some extra volume, and I get comments all the time about how nice my bike sounds. Most people that ask want to know what aftermarket pipes and baffles I went with, and all are always shocked when I tell them they're still the stock pipes with all of that "emissions jumble" (catalytic converter and such up front) still intact!

Never once have I heard a complaint about the bike being too loud, either. :D If you accelerate calmly, you can slip out of the neighborhood without setting off touchy neighbors, but when you roll on the throttle, you can still get that adrenaline surge that says "I'm riding a BEAST!".

If you're still thinking "not enough" with the stage 2 holes, jump in man. You're gonna love it!
WOW !! I think that did it !!!!
Something just got added to my weekend to do list !!

Thanks for the replay!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
TCRider, how old is your son? Did you ride 2-up or does he have his own bike? My parents live seasonally in Ft. Myers so this winter I'll be making some trips accross with my daughter 2-up.
Hey BS, My son is 10 now and he loved the trip !! He is going to Daytona with me next week and he's as excited as I am. Of course I had to take it easy on the speed, making sure to stop every 45 minutes or so to stretch and go to the restroom, make sure he didn't fall sleep in my back, etc. But it was worth it. The ride back took me 4 hours!!!

But the memories that we stamp in our heads will never fade.....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey guys i hope i'm not interupting your chat but i stumbled on it and thought you might find this usefull, this is how i gutted my exhaust and you cant see its been worked on other than the huge hole at the end of the pipe

I removed my baffles by first removing the whole pipe from the head, the next step was to remove the chrome cover/ heat shield from the header pipe.
Drill the three rivets from the outlet side and remove the cover.
Then take a small angle grinder and carefully grind the weld where the chrome sleeve is welded to the end plate that is in turn welded onto the back of the header pipewhen the weld is loose you acn just slide the chrome sleeve off and the baffles and the cat is exposed take the grinder and cut the baffles free, i left the cat in place. Then just reassemble in reverse and your bike has a lovely new sound.
Btw this was done on the 2008/900 custom. Difficulty rating 4/10 really easy in other words

·
Registered
246 Posts
My son is 17 and i allow him to ride with me on certain occasions, i have a Suzuki Intruder chopper that he uses. He loves to ride with me and i enjoy having him along. But when it's party time he stays home

·
Registered
213 Posts
looking forward to it...

My son is 17 and i allow him to ride with me on certain occasions, i have a Suzuki Intruder chopper that he uses. He loves to ride with me and i enjoy having him along. But when it's party time he stays home
I hope someday my kid rides next to me..For now we ride 2 up, and I choose to have him with me rather to party. At least for trips like to daytona, etc. When its locally he stays home too.

Ride safe!!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
WOW !! I think that did it !!!!
Something just got added to my weekend to do list !!

Thanks for the replay!!
Cool! Looking forward to the update when it's done!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Slash
Do you have pictures of your exhaust debaffle work, I have a Calif. bike with cats and don't want to harm them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Slash
Do you have pictures of your exhaust debaffle work, I have a Calif. bike with cats and don't want to harm them.
Scooter i unfortunately do not have photos as at the time i didn't think i would ever have to share the info with someone, most guys in my country ride superbikes. Is there any part of my description that you do not understand? If so i'm sure i can provide some clarity.
If you really want pics let me know and i will see if i have some time Saturday to remove the pipes and take photos

Grant

·
Registered
242 Posts
I went from stock to complete debaffle today. It is pretty loud but it sounds great. One note for how I did mine; I didn't use a hole saw. I tried a 3" but it wasn't working very well so instead I used a center tap and tapped small holes all the way around and then drilled out each hole. After that, I used a chisel and hammer to break the metal between each of the holes. Once I debaffled it, I used a little drimmel tool and smoothed out the edges of the outer portion that stays in the pipe after removing the inner pipe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts