Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I plan on being a new Vulcan S owner in the next few weeks (torn on color though!). This would be my first motorcycle, although I've been on a Honda PCX150 scooter for the last two years, getting a feel for having a "bike"... to an extent.

The scooter fits fine in my garage, but for the moment the Vulcan won't (big cleaning project coming this summer). What are your opinions and experience in keeping the bike stored outside for the summer? I'm in New Jersey, so it's typically hot and sometimes rainy. I'd get a cover for it, and already have a wheel lock, so safety isn't a concern.

Given that this will be my first bike, I know nothing about air filters or screens or anything else I should be concerned about being exposed to the elements. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
31 Posts
as long as you keep a cover over it to help protect from the sun i can't think of anything to be concerned about. what i would keep an eye out for though is mice, little beggers will get in everywhere to make a home, chew wires, and seats. all i can think of, good luck.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
... keep an eye out for though is mice, little beggers will get in everywhere to make a home, chew wires, and seats. all i can think of, good luck.
DRYER sheets and mothballs are the answer for mice.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
91, you would do well to carve out some room in that garage pronto. its well enough to thro a cover over it while yor traveling or in crunch. but long term exposure to the elements starts to work on ALL the finishes on the bike. chrome pitts, steel pitts, alum pitts, paint fades, vinyl cracks, rubber gets hard, etc.. UVs cook the finish.. we have all seen bikes that sit out. they look like theyr ready for the dump'ster. Those of us who keep our bikes inside and do other cleaning and maintenance have 10+yr old machines that look like and work like new.. but you do what you need to do..
btw, watt is all that junk in the garage that is more important than yor bike?
why not put that crap outside and throw a cover over it?

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
btw, watt is all that junk in the garage that is more important than yor bike? why not put that crap outside and throw a cover over it?
Yeah, right? Most of it is my 12 y/o son's junk, much of which will be donated and given away this summer. Beyond that, it's whatever doesn't fit in the house... snow blower, trash and recycling (stupid HOA), other junk that accumulates over time. But a big clean is coming to make that room, so the bike would only be outside for 2-3 months tops.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Inside parking is best, no doubt. That said, for the last 7 years, this has not been an option for me and I ride year round now that I live in a warmer climate. A quality wax is a very good idea. Once a year I take a clay bar to mine after a good washing to remove the pollin we deal with here in abundance. If you can park in a shady area will help in the fading department.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
But a big clean is coming to make that room, so the bike would only be outside for 2-3 months tops. Thanks for the advice!
why wait on that big clean? if it were me, I do it today. and why cant the skooter and/or the snowblower sit outside under a cover? how much money you got in that SB?.. who is gonna steal it in the summer? lock it up..

3 months of outside storage on a motorcycle, and a new one at that is 3 months of abuse.. You purposefully asked for advice and those who know are telling you "don't do it!" and you dismiss it as though it is harmless.. why did you ask? if it doesn't affect your decision and wouldn't heed it anyway? poncho

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You purposefully asked for advice and those who know are telling you "don't do it!" and you dismiss it as though it is harmless.. why did you ask? if it doesn't affect your decision and wouldn't heed it anyway? poncho
Dang, dude... I meant to say "would have only been". Chill out. I am listening to the advice, it's why I asked.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Dang, dude... I meant to say "would have only? been". Chill out. I am listening to the advice, it's why I asked.
tsaw'drite babalouey. as long as yor takin care of bidnes.. take care yor equipment, it takes care of you..

I clean garages way more often than liked to admit.. hows a 12yr old collect so much stuff as to fill a garage? its not like they have a job or apartment.. yet?
when I clean one of my many frends garage, (I get asked a lot), I push/carry everything out.. I mean everything.. nothing/absolutely nothing stays, regardless of its future.. (is why I get asked-effectiveness).
then its swept clean and shelved abundantly and mapped according to use. Only the very FEW items that are actually used get moved back in. Everything else gets hauled off to charity or other frends overstuffed garages to disappear and rott away..
A clean and orderly garage is badge of honor and the maintainer deserves the respect and recognition of those who cant let go of trash..

you know there is a whole billion dollar industry around those that horde stuff?
people actually pay huge money to store crap offsite, so they can fill up their lives with more crap, while the original crap is rotting away in some locker somewhere.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, believe me – if I were living alone, it'd be just the basics and a TON of room. :)

Instead, I have the only grandson of my parents who are quite comfortable in their retirement and like to spoil, and a wife who is into photography studio equipment... and then emptying her van's junk into the garage and never going through it again.

They're going away next week. That's the easiest time to purge!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Oh, believe me – if I were living alone, it'd be just the basics and a TON of room. :) They're going away next week. That's the easiest time to purge!
a man with a plan. you sir are one dangerous dude. living on the edge. when they get back, watt are chances they wont notice anything missing? if we hear, you've gone missing, we'll know where to look.. poncho

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think they'll notice there's less stuff, but never pinpoint exactly what's missing. That's my plan!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts