Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully you can all learn from my experience here.
I bought a 2005 VN2000 in June 2010, used, 5,300 miles, in Michigan and rode it home to Florida (via Tail of the Dragon). At 9,500 miles I start hearing a louder than normal noise from the pulley area. Removal of the shaft bearing shows signs that it had rusted (yeah rusted). Stealership says likely cause is lack of use. The bike actually had sat on showroom floor 2 years before the original owner had purchased. (kawasaki won't warranty now)
Here is what you have to watch for. These bearings are not in oil and could dry out & corrode if left for extended period of time. They are only lubricated from the splashing of oil from the gears. If you are going to let this machine sit just starting it is not going to lubricate these bearings. You need to get it in gear and splash some oil around.
This lesson cost me $750.
Bike is quieter now than I have ever heard.
Have picture of bearing if you want to see, to big to attach.

Someone will ask:
Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50

·
Registered
240 Posts
load it to photobucket.com or a site like it. I would love to see exactly what bearing youre talking about.
What kind of noise was it? squeeling, clanking, pinging??
I've develpoed a whine on my bike and sounds like its coming from the pully area, maybe?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was not a loud squealing noise. It started as a low pitch noise that progressed. I didn't notice it until it turned into more of a grinding. My wife noticed immediately the noise had changed but she hadn't been on it for about 1,000 miles.

The bike now is basically quiet when you coast to a stop. It never was before.

Yes the out-shaft bearing on the drive pulley side. Both bearings were bad but the pulley side was corroded more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could say it was a whine when I first bought the bike. A whine that turned into a grind. PM your email and I'll send you the picture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts