Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5000 miles on 2009 VN900B and today it would not crank. Lots of clicking from the right middle under the seat. I checked the battery - running 12.4 volts - connections are good and clean. I tried cranking again and the starter almost engaged for a 1/10 of a second and the clicking persisted at each press of the starter button. I don't have a shop manual but it looks like it's the starter solenoid clicking (30 amp fuse is located there too - the fuse is good). I put a volt meter on the connection from the battery to the left (rear) of what appears to be the solenoid - getting 12.46 volts - I turn the key and voltage drops to around 8.5 volts. I probe the right (front) connection that runs to the starter from the solenoid and I get not current at all when I press the starter button - lots of clicking though.

Bad solenoid (or what appears to be a solenoid) ??? It's under warranty but a real pain to tow the bike 140 miles round trip for what could be replacing a solenoid. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks

·
Banned
334 Posts
I put a volt meter on the connection from the battery to the left (rear) of what appears to be the solenoid - getting 12.46 volts - I turn the key and voltage drops to around 8.5 volts.
That usually means you have a bad battery. The voltage shouldn't be dropping that far when you turn the key on.

You could try charging the battery, but I suspect it has a defective cell and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The voltage drop leads me to believe it's a bad battery but corrosion IS possible. Might not be a bad idea to take some fine sandpaper and clean it up a bit!

Happened to me once after disconnecting the battery cables to install an accessory. Wouldn't start afterward. Key on, click, almost engage, etc. Cleaned it up and worked fine ever since. I guess there was corrosion and after disconnecting/reconnecting I managed to wedge some corroded gunk in there.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Romans is correct, could be corrosion, but sounds like a dead cell in the battery. Happens all the time.

Check out this thread and do some research on the new battery's that are available. A few of us have replaced the battery with the SHORIA Lithium Iron Phosphate battery. Not really that much more than the dealer price for the battery but much better.
Thread is here

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had the same problem on my '09. I could unplug the Battery Tender and it wouldn't start. I got a new battery and it was fine after that.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yup just bought an 09 w/ 5k miles. Mine did the same thing. Bought a autozone battery, filled it w the acid, charged it overnight installed the battery and fired up.

I would start w the battery.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Out of the blue....

That was it!!!! The battery had a bad cell. I was headed in the wrong directions and you folks put me on the right path! Thanks you all for your help. On the road again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts