Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there who has experience with this? My 1996 800 has been stored by previous owner for 12 years with oil in the motor, gas tank was not drained. Oil was not poured into the cylinders. Previous owner tried to start it 3 years ago and it sputtered but would not run. Wondering if I should pour something in the motor to clean it out or do I just change the oil and go for it? I'm sure the carb will need rebuilding.

·
BOTSpring Winner 2017
77 Posts
Clean the tank, fuel pump, fuel lines and carb very well. Make sure the oil level is good and add some Marvel Mystery oil to the oil as recommended on the bottle. Remove the plugs and squirt a teaspoon of oil in each head and let it sit for a few days. Replace with new plugs. Replace the coil/plug wires with new copper core ones. You'll have to get them in bulk at a hot rod shop. You can't use modern ones since they have resistance built in. Just unscrew the original wires from the plug caps and coil and screw in the new ones. Get a new battery. Put in new gas with Techron Concentrated Injector/Carb cleaner per instructions. Run it 50 miles so the MMO can do its job and change the oil. Check the header pipe bolts at the heads for tightness. The tires will have dry rot. Change them. Check the chain tightness and lube the chain. You should eventually check the steering head and swing arm bearings for damage or at least repack them with grease.

·
Registered
108 Posts
1996 800 stored for 12 years with oil in the motor, gas tank not drained.
do I just change the oil and go for it? I'm sure the carb will need rebuilding.

Sometimes it takes several carb cleanings to fully clear all the tiny passages. Something like Sea Foam will be your friend.
As for a motor flush, probably not needed, ... an oil & filter change, then after 200 -300 miles another oil & filter change should get most of the old crap out.
It might be a good idea to put a few drops of something like Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder before starting,
Check the tires for age cracks, lube all the controls and cables, (especially the rear brake cable) Test all the controls including lights, turn signals, ignition, throttle, brakes and horn. make sure the rear brake shoes are free, and your brake fluid hasn't turned to goo in the master cylinder.
Check for tight or frozen links in the drive chain, and don't be surprised if the clutch plates are somewhat sticky after 12 years on inaction.
Make sure it's safe to ride, (tires - brakes etc.) and then put some miles on her. Many of the initial grumbles will work themselves out as the miles go by.
Others will show up and need dealt with.
Enjoy and be safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts