Discussion Starter #1
Congrats Wasatch!

>>>PM SENT<<<

Year: 2008
Model: VN900C
Eng size: 900
Pipes: Cobra Slashdowns
Seat: Saddlemen Solo
Wheels: Front, chromed stock. Rear, chromed Sumo-X Mimic 18 x 5.5.
Accessories: A lot, gonna have to read below.
And the story:

Last year in the early part of June I needed another project to work on, and since it had been a decade since I sold my VN800A, I decided another Vulcan was needed to satisfy that old "wrenching" appetite. I decided to budget about $10,000 for the project.

After scouring local classifieds here along the Wasatch Front in Utah, I found a candidate. A 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom, with an asking price of $3000. In the pictures the bike sported a broken windscreen, rotten leather saddlebags, a rusted luggage rack out back, and a huge two-up seat. While the current dress of the bike around purchase time wasn't my style, I knew that it would not last.

I contacted the seller and demanded a test ride. Using our car keys and my wife as collateral, I rode the bike for a bit and found it was going to really need some work. $3000 was a fair price, so off I went with a salvaged title in hand. The bike had been stolen and recovered prior, and laid down on both sides. The damage was evident with badly scored footpegs out of alignment, damaged OEM exhaust, and bent handle bars. Also the wheels were wobbling badly, though not bad enough to ride during the the summer season of 2014.

The very first thing I did on the way home was get a safety inspection, then a visit to the DMV for registration. A call to my insurance agent was made, and the bike was legit to ride. I also stopped at South Valley Motorsports in Sandy and bought a brand new set of Cobra Slashdowns. I installed them the next day and found the popping issue due to fuel mixture issues. I also tossed out the old windscreen, saddle bags, and luggage rack on the rear. I good friend of mine owns a 2007 Classic that he has bobbed, so I obtained some of his parts to get the project going, such as a custom solo seat he had made at one point.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Congrats Wasatch. Great looking bike man.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's a really great looking bike, It's the one I voted for. Thanks to the folks that gave mine a nod!

·
BOTY Winner 2015!, BOTM Winner, July 2015
145 Posts
Thanks guys. Got a lot of my ideas here on the forums and sorta put it together over time. Plus it is always fun to bring a bike back to life, so to speak. Some really cool people here with awesome ideas!

Now that this project is done, gotta figure out another one.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Thanks guys. Got a lot of my ideas here on the forums and sorta put it together over time. Plus it is always fun to bring a bike back to life, so to speak. Some really cool people here with awesome ideas!

Now that this project is done, gotta figure out another one.
I know the feeling on this one. Only instead of a different bike, I'm changing the same one LOL:grin2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
bike looks great. But, I could never get away with that singleseat unless I had another bike such as a touring cycle to appease the wife.

·
145 Posts
bike looks great. But, I could never get away with that singleseat unless I had another bike such as a touring cycle to appease the wife.
Completely understand. I have a two up seat to click on the bike for my old lady, who has been on my bike a few times and enjoys riding when we actually see each other due to our schedules.

My 1998 800A got a lot of use with both of us on it, full two up seat and a backrest for her. We actually rode that bike up the canyon and down the day before our first kid was born back then because we were excited to become parents. (We thought that might help induce the labor, lol)

Now however we work opposite schedules and have four little ones, so getting out for a ride together just doesn't happen a lot. How life changes, but fortunately the bike can change too. :smile2:

·
145 Posts
Hi Wasatch, congratulations, nice ride. Could you give some info on the headlight?
Thanks everyone. The headlight is and ACHD Stealth, stuffed with an LED HI/Lo bulb, mounted on a Headwinds CNC'd machined bracket designed for the lower tree for the VN900.

Here is a link to the headlight itself, where I sourced it out.

ACHD 5-3/4 Inch Stealth Headlight Headlight - PPP-HL007 - Phat Performance Parts

Keep in mind that you can mount this headlight on your stock bracket if you are willing to dismantle your existing setup and do the work. I tried that an it ended up ass-ugly, so I ordered the Headwinds bracket. I thought it turned out nice and clean.

This is a link to the less expensive poised alloy version, which I went with:

Headwinds: Headlight Mount (Bullet/Rocket) - KAW Vulcan 900, YAM Stryker - Polished

I love that particular setup because, if you'll excuse my terminology, it looks like it will shred most things in it's path.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interesting to see the Cobra Slash Downs and Air Filter Cover. I also like the Silver / Grey color. So interesting to compare to my own bike. I have a 2014 Mat Black and Opal White VNC900 (Custom) and have just bought Vance and Hines Mat Black Slash Down Exhausts.

I will post a pic of mine one day. Just haven't got around to that yet.

Happy riding

Roo
(Northern Thailand)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts