Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to the desert yesterday to meet up with some friends, I haven't ridden dirt for about 20 years, but have been wanting to give it a try again and maybe get back into it. Took a short ride, and it all came back to me faster than I thought it would. My daughter took a short ride with her friend, and we talked about how we would have to convince her mom to let us get dirt bikes again. Went for a longer ride and were on our way back to the camp, got into some soft sand, was in the wrong gear, bike bogged down, as I down shifted to try to get it back, I went over high side, landed on my left side and broke {actually rebroke} the collar bone I broke 25 years ago. Really sucks, I ride my 900c alot, just passed 24000 miles{in 15 months} and was going to start the service today. Now I will be on the sidelines for a few weeks, and will need to ride vicariously through all of you, so lets have some ride reports to keep me from going nuts.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Well that should help with your case with your daughter's mom to get dirt bikes again...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Richard, Sorry to hear about your mishap, what a bummer.:( Hope you heal up soon. I took a look at your pics on photobucket. Looks like you have made some nice rides and memories. Take Care and Heal Quick.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Man, I feel your pain. I fell off a loading dock and screwed up my back. Took almost 6 months to get where I could sit and relax without the pain surprising me. Just enjoy the winter months (brrrrrr..gettin' cold, ain't it?) and when spring comes, you'll be ready.

T

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sorry to read of the mishap, but glad you'll mend! Since it went down in soft sand, it seems the bike must be pretty much okay, then?

Can't offer many vicarious ride reports from here... I put it away for the season this past weekend. Someone else in the southern tier will have to provide those for us.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mis-hap... but at least it happened like mine did.. at the beginning of winter so will be missing winter riding season, Take it easy and do what the docs tell ya to do,,, for some reason the seldom say get back on that horse and ride... it'll be over with before you know it... and ya just may get to laugh about it alot sooner than ya think too.!!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Ouch is right. You and Jeep Pirate need to get together and discuss war wounds.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
ouch indeed. Get better soon!

ummm not sure how much vicarious value this has, but Frank and I just did a two dayer from Hillsboro down to Cottage Grove... (200 mi) on inland backroads until daylight left us.....then next day rode over to Reedsport on the coast and rode back up the coast of Oregon to Tillamook and home on hiway 6. Mebbee a 450 mile loop?

I had a blast because we finally have beaten the cold finger syndrome with heated glove liners....Day 2 began at 37 degrees but it was no problem at all. This was also my first ride with my stock but debaffled mufflers back on.
Now I can lean (and hear!) again!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Tough break, (pun intended) hope you heal quickly and completely. If it makes you feel any better, I put in about 160 miles today in the rain on the highway and it was cool, started out in the low 40's maybe low 50's for a high. Not the most fun weather to ride in, but it sure beats having a broken collar bone, get well soon.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
So I went to the orthopedic doc today, bones are seperated by about an inch, gonna plate and screw it back together later this week. should cut down on the healing time, and might let me get back on the 900 before new years.
I'd be happy with that... heck I'd be happy to be away from my walker by the New Year... but anyway it goes, the fact of knowing you will be riding again makes everything easier to take.!! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts