Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding my 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom yesterday and bit the dust. I was making a left hand turn on a paved road........going around 25 MPH.....(less than the speed limit).....and the bike slid out from under me like I had hit a sheet of ice!! Wow, that happened FAST! Luckily, I went left and slid on the pavement on my leather jacket and the bike went right and didn't land on me. I have a couple of bruises but all is well. Geico is coming out tomorrow to check out the bike. Once I get her fixed, I'll be back in the saddle again!! Just one of those things I guess!! All of you guys and gals out there be safe!!!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Oil spot? Gravel? Sand? Damp? Although I've slipped a bit on those things, I've been lucky not to go down yet, and after a couple of slips, I've learned to spot 'em pretty durn quick! Sorry to hear ya went down, but glad it was minor! Now you've got it out of the way and can get back to miles o' smiles!

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Glad to hear you will be okay. Hopefully, not to much damage to be fixed? BTW, do you have crash or freeway bars? Just wondering if they help?

Heal up soon...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Glad you're ok... Good you're getting back on the horse as soon as you can.

FWIW, my engine guard saved my foot in a slow speed tip over. I have the cobra unit.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Glad you're alright!

I'm interested on the crash bar thing too. Let us know!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Glad to hear you didn't get beat up to bad, how bad is the bike? If you think of it ask the Rep about your coat and helmet. They may replace it or give you some $$ towards it as it is safety equip. Once a helmet bounces of pavement it's time to upgrade IMO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Regarding my Accident...

No, I don't have the crash bars on my bike. The road may have had some light oil deposits on it that I didn't see............I do know that cars speed around this particular curve. Perhaps the tires on these speeding cars have worn the asphalt down to a slick surface. Just an educated guess. I didn't stick around there to investigate. LOL Just wanted to shrug it off the best I could at the time and get the bike home..............it was still driveable. I truly appreciate all of your best wishes!! Good luck and good riding to all of you!!!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Glad to hear you didn't get beat up to bad, how bad is the bike? If you think of it ask the Rep about your coat and helmet. They may replace it or give you some $$ towards it as it is safety equip. Once a helmet bounces of pavement it's time to upgrade IMO.
Absolutely. A helmet should be replaced after a get off if there is even a remote chance it hit the ground. Even if there is no visible damage on the outside of it, the integrity of the helmet may be compromised and if (though hopefully not) this happens again, it could fail completely and fail to protect you. Some helmet manufacturers will gladly replace it after a wreck (or at a reduced rate). If you have accessory coverage with your MC insurance, it may cover it as well (mind does)

If the jacket had armor, it should be replaced (unless it's the soft foam kind). CE armor is 'one time use', but it's not that expensive. If the leather is in good shape without tears or scuffs it's perfectly fine to ride with. BUT, wouldn't hurt to see if they'll swap it for ya! (And again, ask the insurance adjuster, the jacket and helmet may be covered)

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Same thing happened to me new years day. Was folllowing my brother, his slid, straightened up and slid again and went down. My slid and went down same place his did the second time. Him and I were ok, but my girlfriend spained her ankle, and my bike slid into his wife and broke her pelvis. We were only doing about 25 at the time. She walking now and doing good, ready to ride! Insurance paid for the helmets and all her leathers since they were cut off by EMCs. Glad you ok, and ready to ride again. David and I rode our bikes home, about 1/4 mile from the house.

·
Banned
593 Posts
You went down, and you're OK - that's good to hear. The bruises go away, and the bike can get fixed or replaced. More importantly, you've built more character.

In Lloyd's book, character is defined as that part of manhood (or womanhood, for those that are of that brand) that can only be learned through work, pain, loss, blood, sweat, and tears. And only good things come from it.

Glad you're alright, man!

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Glad your ok and yes if the helmet hit replace it. I had a small slide out on a curve this winter myself, did not go down but I did find out my heart is still in good shape. I turned around and went back to the curve, after looking closely I discovered the State was using sand as anti-skid. Yea right anti-skid my a##.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Never a good thing when I hear of a rider going down...for whatever reason.Glad your incident was fairly "minor" and that you'll be back on it again soon!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Same thing happened to me the day before yours but I was only going 5 mph. I think I hit gravel and I hit fast and hard. Bike was totaled. Helmet damaged. Shoulder and neck still sore. I had a Honda Shadow. I got the check and immediately found a 2007 900 in pristine condition on Craig's list and that is why I am here now.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Same thing happened to me the day before yours but I was only going 5 mph. I think I hit gravel and I hit fast and hard. Bike was totaled. Helmet damaged. Shoulder and neck still sore. I had a Honda Shadow. I got the check and immediately found a 2007 900 in pristine condition on Craig's list and that is why I am here now.
Seriously? All that damage at only 5 mph? That's walking speed...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts