Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I ordered a set of Saddlemen Desperado saddebags for my 900 on Sunday and they are set to arrive tomorrow! I'm very excited as this is my first sort of "mod" I have done to my 2011 Classic. It really is amazing how having no sort of storage on the bike is a major inconvenience. My GF is sick and tired of taking a backpack with us whenever we go anywhere. I'm thinking these saddlebags will help out a lot.

Any tips, tricks, or experiences with Saddlemen saddlebags? I'm planning on installing them myself so any tips would be appreciated. Also, will I need to treat the bags with some sort of conditioner or protectant? This will be my first set of saddlebags on any bike, so pardon the newbie questions.

I'm thinking sissy bar, seat, and exhaust next... Maybe some V&H Slashcut Staggereds.......

Here is a link: https://www.denniskirk.com/saddlemen/rigid-mount-specific-fit-desperado-teardrop-saddlebags.p507454.prd/507472.sku

Thanks

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I had a set of Saddlemen bags on my bike for a while last year. I got them off craigslist on the cheap and really liked them except they weren't big enough for me. They seemed to be good quality, though, and looked good, too.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
The secret to any good install is in the use of a quality bracket to support the bags. Dont overload them or overstuff them

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
We both have Saddlemen Saddlebags on our bikes, mounted with Edge Brackets. Can't think of a better way to do it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The saddlemen 'universal' bracket is garbage, at least from my experience. Granted, we were trying to install the bags on a Rebl 250 which may have been the issue.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I always use detachable stuff (and Saddlemen sells good ones). My bags are the only thing that I always leave on the bike (backpacks suck hard!), but it's nice to be able to take them off for wash day.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The saddlemen 'universal' bracket is garbage, at least from my experience. Granted, we were trying to install the bags on a Rebl 250 which may have been the issue.
+1 They are horrible. I got them to use with my V2K and they do not fit well against the bike. with the help of a table vise and rubber hammer I made them "work".

Also depending on the size of your bags they may not offer enough support. I purchased the "Extra Jumbo" sized slant throw over bags and they do not offer the support needed for that big of bag.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but won't the saddlebag supports/sissy bars and such fender support mounted parts interchange between the V2k and 900. If so the cobra saddle bag support for the V2K looks like it will offer more bag support than the one for the 900 if it will fit properly.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I like your previous ones...
LOL! I'm really glad that you are enjoying them! I absolutely loved the look of those bags, and they're some of the best made bags I've ever seen. But, I just carry so much stuff! Well, Lloyd says too much! You know, if they were just a little bigger . . . :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I got one of the bags mounted and the other is almost done. I ended up stripping one of the threads, so I have to get a tap from work and retap it. Should only take a minute. I ended up having to get bolts that were 1" shorter than the ones that came with the kit. I was pretty irritated about that, considering these bags are marketed SPECIFIC fit. I will be glad when they are on and I can actually use them.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Saddleman Drifter Slants

I really like the Saddleman bags. Installed about a month ago. I too had to get different length bolts (local Lowes). Install is truely custom. Needed the help of my lovely assistant (wife) to mark the spots where I needed to drill. After installation was complete, I decided to add some "S" brackets at the bottom to further secure the bags against the support brackets. They are rock solid now. Love all the space (installed the Jumbo size). They fit great on the Classic.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Saddleman Cruis n slants with Easy Brackets... they "stick out" a little but make the bike more visable
Hey what tool pouch is that you've got on the windshield? Been looking for one like that to keep sunglasses and stuff like that on. That one looks pretty nice and not as bulky as others I've seen.

·
Registered
450 Posts
That looks like the MS tri pouch. My wife just ordered me their new zipper pouch. I'll post pics when it arrives

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
That looks like the MS tri pouch. My wife just ordered me their new zipper pouch. I'll post pics when it arrives

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Forgive me but who is MS?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. Memphis Shades, right? Yeah that is what it looks like. Cool! I'll stick that on my long list of goodies I want LOL!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I got the bag delivered tonight, and got it installed. Here's a few pics:

Note, this is the Memphis Shades Fats 17". In my hand the bag looked big, but once on the windshield it looked kinda small.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts