Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Forgive me if I'm rehashing old discussions here but after getting several opinions on the forum here and doing some other research I'm trying to decide if and which risers to install to account for the higher and further back position on my new mustang seat. After riding for a few days with the seat, I really like the seat but I'm also stretching to reach the bars. I about convinced myself that the GenMar 1 inch risers would do it. But now I'm looking at the 4 inch Baron Kickback Risers and thinking they would really let me lean back and relax in the new seat. I realize it is all personal preference, body size, etc., but you know how it goes... best to get as many opinions and experiences as possible before putting down your money. So, I know I can find people who like each of these and some in between and I'd appreciate any comments. But also has anyone had any experiences that did not work out? For example, the Baron Kickbacks rise 4 inches and set back about 1.5 inches, I think. Is 4 inches too high? Thanks!

EDIT: Here are some links to riser options I've found or that have been referred by one or more of you.

GenMar 1 inch
http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/GenMar-K112-handle-bar-risers-p/gm%20k112.htm

Chuckster Customs
http://chucksterscustoms.com/Home/ProductDetail?PartNumber=CC-KR

Baron Kickback 4 inch
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/baron-custom-accessories-kickback-risers-various-models/part/BA-7410U

·
Registered
33 Posts
glad you mentioned this as I'm about ready to order my mustang touring seat. took months to pick that seat out of all the options... now I'm just worried about having to move the bars... and hoping I don't end up sitting on my gas tank lol. how far forward does your mustang put you, or did it just raise you up?

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I think I sit further back a bit, maybe an inch or two. See my previous thread from a couple days ago regarding the Mustang seat. I think someone there said they measured the actual distances. On the other hand, I think someone else said they thought it pushed them closer but that's not been my experience. It may depend on how you sit also. I find sitting back in the seat pocket works the best. Perhaps others don't do that as much.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have the Baron 4" kickbacks! My seat is a Russell. Love the combo!! I'm 6'3" and have fairly long arms. When I get in the car I move the seat back, and pull the wheel into my lap!! Just the way I roll!! Might not work for some!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm 5'6". I put the PhatII risers on a couple of years ago. If I recall they raised the bars 4" and brought them back 2". A couple of weeks back I added the Mustang seat and it definately moved me up and back. Now I need the bars to come back again. The Mustang seat is more comfortable then stock but I am now getting sore on the back of the left leg at the seat seam. Hoping it gets better after break in. I have 4 years and 20k on the bike but still looking for the sweet spot as far as comfort goes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Forgive me if I'm rehashing old discussions here but after getting several opinions on the forum here and doing some other research I'm trying to decide if and which risers to install to account for the higher and further back position on my new mustang seat. After riding for a few days with the seat, I really like the seat but I'm also stretching to reach the bars. I about convinced myself that the GenMar 1 inch risers would do it. But now I'm looking at the 4 inch Baron Kickback Risers and thinking they would really let me lean back and relax in the new seat. I realize it is all personal preference, body size, etc., but you know how it goes... best to get as many opinions and experiences as possible before putting down your money. So, I know I can find people who like each of these and some in between and I'd appreciate any comments. But also has anyone had any experiences that did not work out? For example, the Baron Kickbacks rise 4 inches and set back about 1.5 inches, I think. Is 4 inches too high? Thanks!

EDIT: Here are some links to riser options I've found or that have been referred by one or more of you.

GenMar 1 inch
http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/GenMar-K112-handle-bar-risers-p/gm%20k112.htm

Chuckster Customs
http://chucksterscustoms.com/Home/ProductDetail?PartNumber=CC-KR

Baron Kickback 4 inch
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/baron-custom-accessories-kickback-risers-various-models/part/BA-7410U
I just put a Mustang seat with the drivers backrest. I used these risers and love how they work. Only raise them about a 1/2 inch, but pulls the bars back about I used these. http://www.refinedcycle.com/HR2-Riser-Extensions-for-Mean-Streak-Suzuki-Marauder-HR2.htm
david

·
Registered
273 Posts
setback

I'm in the same boat, the mustang seat def. moves you up and back a bit. I've been browsing lately for risers. I don't really want the bars any higher just back. When I sit back on the back rest it feels like I need at least a couple of inches back to do the trick. Thanks for posting the mean streak marauder specs. I'll do an ebay search to see if there are some lower cost units out there that do the same if not I'll go with those.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Me too.

Thanks for these posts. I thought it was just me. I just put the mustang on my '11 Classic SE and love the new seat feel, but at 5' 7" I have also noticed an increased reach to the bars. How difficult is it to install risers? I imagine it is merely a matter of nuts and bolts.

I ride 50 miles one way to work, so this apparently small change does become noticeable.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for these posts. I thought it was just me. I just put the mustang on my '11 Classic SE and love the new seat feel, but at 5' 7" I have also noticed an increased reach to the bars. How difficult is it to install risers? I imagine it is merely a matter of nuts and bolts.

I ride 50 miles one way to work, so this apparently small change does become noticeable.

Thanks in advance.
Not that bad. Just make sure you put a towel on your gas tank while removing and installing the risers.
david

·
Registered
74 Posts
risers

...the risers Warlock recommended are very similar to the Gen-Mars I recommended...again, I'm 5"8', 175 lbs with 32" inseam....the Gen-Mars were just enough for me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mustang+risers+batwing+floorboards = Couch-a-saki

I just put a Mustang seat with the drivers backrest. I used these risers and love how they work. Only raise them about a 1/2 inch, but pulls the bars back about I used these. http://www.refinedcycle.com/HR2-Riser-Extensions-for-Mean-Streak-Suzuki-Marauder-HR2.htm
david
+1 on all the comments in this thread -- my Mustang w/driver backrest moved me up ~1" and back ~1" (I actually measured the distances with each seat in place.)

I have the 900 Custom and used the HR2 risers as well (bought through ebay). I felt little to no increase in height, but a noticable decrease in reach to the bars -- exactly what these particular risers are advertised to do (1/2" up and ~2" back), and perfect for me, as I'm 5'8", 170lb, and apparently have short arms :)

Two things I'll add to the discussion, specific to the 900 Custom I think:
1. I have the MS batwing specific to the Custom. These risers were perfect in that they kept the bars in line with the "wings" of the fairing and so my hands are still protected from the cold/wind.
2. I have short legs too (30" inseam) and found that the Mustang also made the stretch to the pegs a bit too much. I swapped the pegs for the Kuryakyn "premium mini" floorboards and now that I can move my feet forward and back a little, things are just about perfect. All of you with the floorboard equiped Classics/LTs already know how nice this can be!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'm sold on the Baron Kickbacks, but moving the front wheel all the way to each side it looks like a few of the cables may be pretty tight. I seen some posts that say they had to re-route some cables but most say there is enough slack as designed. Did you have any issues with the cables?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Old Dave...

...I forget if you have a classic or custom...but you might want to verify the bar design....I have the classic with Gen-Mars added....I think...the custom has different bars...ones that "come back" to the rider more than the classic bars?

·
Registered
74 Posts
risers

...there might be a difference in "distance", and also the riser "design" of how the risers will go onto the custom....I think if you put risers on the custom bar...you have to go into the triple tree to bolt them in.....you don't have to do that with the classic, and it's handlebar design, and Gen-Mars.....seat handlebar "distance" might be the "same" between the custom/classic...but I would check if you can. I sat on a "custom" in the showroom, and the rider "positioning" was a tad different than when I sat on the "classic"...as I recall...

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think I'm sold on the Baron Kickbacks, but moving the front wheel all the way to each side it looks like a few of the cables may be pretty tight. I seen some posts that say they had to re-route some cables but most say there is enough slack as designed. Did you have any issues with the cables?
For me, the cables were ok with the stock shield. When I installed the Memphis Shades mounting hardware for my Batwing they were too tight. So as long as you aren't installing Memphis Shades, you shouldn't have to re-route.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
HR2's and Custom vs classic bars

Are these the risers you used? I saw them on Ebay for same price as the maker's web site.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HR2-Handlebar-Riser-Extensions-Kawasaki-Vulcan-Mean-Streak-VN1500-VN1600-extend-/110769540170?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19ca610c4a&vxp=mtr

What other hardware if any did you need to install these?

Thanks,

Hutson
You've got the right eBay link. For those of you who'd like more pictures of the HR2s and bars on a Custom, go here: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32438 The only additional hardware needed is a pair of bolts to attach the new risers to the triple clamp - the original bolts can be reused to attach the bars to the risers. I did not need to swap any cables in this case, just bend the guides a little to move the brake line so it had enough slack.

The bars from the Custom bolt DIRECTLY to the top triple clamp, while the Classic (as best I recall) has bars that are clamped to "risers" that are then bolted to the triple clamp. When I went looking for risers, there were definitely more options for replacing the stock "risers" on the Classic; as others have noted, you can also put risers in between the stock "risers" and the triple clamp on the Classic as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts