Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa has brought me a new OPT7 LED Headlight for my bike. I'm wondering if anyone else has installed this light, and if so, where have you placed the driver module? Also, how did you modify the rubber boot that was on the factory bulb?

>Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick update, in case anyone else is looking to install this headlamp

- The driver module fits inside the bucket, no problem
- I had to temporarily remove a silver plate from the headlamp so that I could slide the rubber boot over the lamp. It was very tight, but it fits. Silver plate went right back on over top of the boot. I think there is a different brand LED that has a removable heatsink at the base of the lamp that accomplish the same thing.
- I had to modify the retaining clip that holds the bulb in the housing, so that it would clear the large heatsink on the base of the lamp.
- I had to re-pin the factory 3 prong connector to reverse the polarity, was able to use a small flathead to push the wires out of the connector and swap positions.

Overall, I spent maybe an hour making this work, and the headlamp is fantastic! Super bright, white light, looks great and has to make me more visable.

>Mike

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just ordered one of these before I saw your post. I thought it was supposed to be "plug and play". I'm not that handy -- the re-pinning has me a bit concerned that I may be in over my head.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob9876, the re-pinning was really very simple. The factory connector for the headlight is a 3 prong, female connector. All I had to do was push a small flat-head screwdriver into the plastic connector between the metal connector and the plastic so that it would pull free of the connector. Once free, I just swapped the position of the left and right pins, and pushed them back into the connector. Typing this description probably took longer that actually doing it did!

I've included a generic photo that is very similar to the connector, it's just a matter of popping the left and right wires out of the plastic housing, and swapping them to the other side.

The harder part for me was modifying the spring clip that holds the lamp into the housing... this required some creative re-bending of the metal clip, but wasn't anything too difficult.

If you get into a jam, let me know... I can take mine back apart to take a couple photos if you think it'll help.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well I have the OPT7 light now, but have not yet installed. The pictures in the Vulcan owners' manual are not great, so I've got a dumb question: there are 2 sets of screws on the light housing -- one basically flush with the surface, and one somewhat recessed -- which ones do I need to remove? I'm assuming one set is to adjust the aim of the light -- did you have to change that also?

·
Registered
18 Posts
ttp://opt-7.com/opt7-fluxbeam-motorcycle-led-headlight

OPT7 Fluxbeam Motorcycle LED Headlight - Opt-7

This really is a better price than I see for others. Bright lights save lives.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry for the delayed response, I've been busy with other things over the winter and haven't been on here in a while.

"there are 2 sets of screws on the light housing -- one basically flush with the surface, and one somewhat recessed -- which ones do I need to remove?"

The screws I removed to get into the headlight bucket were not recessed at all, the head of the bolt was flush with the outside of the bucket. I did not do any adjustments to the aiming of the headlamp... it appears to be focused on the same spot as the stock headlamp.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
The screws to be removed to get into the headlight bucket are on the sides of the rim to be taken off. They are not in the front. The front ones are only for aiming the headlight. There are also bushings that may or may no come out when you remove the side screws. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Okay... Had my used 2007 Vulcan 500 for 18 months now. Finally broke down and took it to the shop. Picked it up today! Runs like brand new! I couldn't be happier! Anybody have any advice for updates to my bike? I want a windshield, Foot boards, backrest for driver and passenger. Any links to things that fit this bike would be greatly appreciated. Have had a very hard time finding things...

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was happy with Slip Streamer Spitfire, but if you ride in a colder climate like I do, Give me a few weeks and I'll let you know what I think about the Slip Streamer Enterprise. Unintentionally broke my old one, so I'll have to order a new style.

·
Registered
19 Posts
- I had to re-pin the factory 3 prong connector to reverse the polarity, was able to use a small flathead to push the wires out of the connector and swap positions.
Do you need to do this will all swaps to headlights? I'm thinking of getting this one.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0764DSQRX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A298MPJAFJ2R5R&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just installed a Cree 6k led headlight into my bike. Definitely an upgrade from stock, it’s plug & play and the best was the $17 price shipped to my door! I just hope it doesn’t melt the wires in my bucket, as with any other headlight upgrades, they tend to be much hotter.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I just installed a Cree 6k led headlight into my bike. Definitely an upgrade from stock, it’s plug & play and the best was the $17 price shipped to my door! I just hope it doesn’t melt the wires in my bucket, as with any other headlight upgrades, they tend to be much hotter.
The LED won't as it draws less power than stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quick update, in case anyone else is looking to install this headlamp

- The driver module fits inside the bucket, no problem
- I had to temporarily remove a silver plate from the headlamp so that I could slide the rubber boot over the lamp. It was very tight, but it fits. Silver plate went right back on over top of the boot. I think there is a different brand LED that has a removable heatsink at the base of the lamp that accomplish the same thing.
- I had to modify the retaining clip that holds the bulb in the housing, so that it would clear the large heatsink on the base of the lamp.

Overall, I spent maybe an hour making this work, and the headlamp is fantastic! Super bright, white light, looks great and has to make me more visable.

>Mike
Does the rubber boot go on top of the cooling fans? Or do you feed the bulb through the rubber boot then try and attached the cooling fans on the outside of it? I couldn't get it to fit on the outside of the rubber boot so i'm afraid the heatsink is going to melt the boot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts