Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Opinion/Vance and Hines Slashcut To Loud?

Wondering if any V&H people would chime in here?

I know pipes are a very subjective subject.

I'm picking up a set of V&H Slashcut Staggereds tomorrow.

I've been reading reviews on them and several say they have to wear ear plugs when riding because they are too loud.

I find audio clips to be inaccurate for the most part.

I have a friend who has them on his 04 Harley and they sound fairly mellow.

I generally like loud pipes on others bikes, but not my own. I just put a set on the wife's bike (not V&H) and now I can't hear mine when I ride with her.

I wear a full face helmet with blue tooth and I almost always have the music player on. I don't want to have the pipes drown out the music.

Are they really that loud on the 900?

Thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
I heard that these are the quietest after market pipes,& I find them just right with the full face helmet

·
Registered
74 Posts
V&h ss

I have them on my 2009 900 custom. The dealer added a TFM fuel manager to get the low end torque and idle just right. I love the sound. Just loud enough---especially when ripping through the gears. BTW I just put Scootworks sprockets on for a 12% gear ratio change. The bike is perfect now.

pcmikey AKA RoadKill

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for all your comments. On my way out to get the pipes. I should have them on later today. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the pipes on, sounds pretty good. :) I did not take it for a ride though. I have a small leak up at the front cylinder which I'll fix tomorrow morning before taking it out. Didn't want to ride with the leak.

Install was pretty straight forward. I ran out of time to finish up the leak today.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I personally thought they were a little to quiet, so I cut the baffles in half. Idle is just a bit more of a deeper growl (not to loud) simple roll-ons and at highway speed are definately louder but I can still hear my mp3 player wearing my half shell. Get on it hard and the pipes open, pretty loud and have a nice rumble to em. If you decide to do this, there is no putting them back to the way they were unless you buy new baffles so just be aware of that before hand.

Either way, I'm happier with them now!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I personally thought they were a little to quiet, so I cut the baffles in half. Idle is just a bit more of a deeper growl (not to loud) simple roll-ons and at highway speed are definitely louder but I can still hear my mp3 player wearing my half shell. Get on it hard and the pipes open, pretty loud and have a nice rumble to em. If you decide to do this, there is no putting them back to the way they were unless you buy new baffles so just be aware of that before hand.

Either way, I'm happier with them now!
Thanks seandh07 for the suggestion. As soon as I stop the leak up front, I'll take it for a ride. They were quieter at idle then I thought the would be.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Got the pipes on, sounds pretty good. :) I did not take it for a ride though. I have a small leak up at the front cylinder which I'll fix tomorrow morning before taking it out. Didn't want to ride with the leak.

Install was pretty straight forward. I ran out of time to finish up the leak today.
Did you replace the crush gaskets? If not - that could be the cause of your leak.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you replace the crush gaskets? If not - that could be the cause of your leak.
Yes I did, it's always a good thing to do. It's not a bad leak, but you can feel a little air moving up by the front cylinder. It looks like the pipe is cocked slightly. I'll play with it in the morning.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would check that the gasket was properly seated/serviceable and loosen up every bit of hardware on the affected pipe before I retorqued down the acorn nuts at the jug.That way the rest of the pipe won't be bound up possibly interfering with your re-seating of the header pipe.Check that the gasket isn't damaged and if you think it might be replace it.
Also knowing and applying the correct torque value on everything would be nice.
Good luck Otrp.

Thanks Glockster, It turns out there were two dimples on the part of the pipe that goes against the head. I didn't notice them before putting them on, but it must have been enough to not let the pipe seat. The gasket didn't even crush all the way.

I filed off the dimples and will be reinstalling the pipe Friday or Saturday. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

By the way, does anybody know the correct torque for torquing the header to the jug?

I believe it is 12 ft. pounds, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I put the Vance and Hines Staggered Slash Cuts on my 9, and they sound great, but I did have this gasket in which you speak. When I took my stock exhaust off the bike, I did not see a gasket , nor did the new exhaust have one. I do not think I have a leak. I can not hear or feel any air, but I do not have a trained ear for such things, also I do not see an black around the heads.

Am I supposed to have this gasket and if so, is it easily obtained?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I put the Vance and Hines Staggered Slash Cuts on my 9, and they sound great, but I did have this gasket in which you speak. When I took my stock exhaust off the bike, I did not see a gasket , nor did the new exhaust have one. I do not think I have a leak. I can not hear or feel any air, but I do not have a trained ear for such things, also I do not see an black around the heads.

Am I supposed to have this gasket and if so, is it easily obtained?
Hi Randy and Yes, there has to be a gasket there. Your local dealer should have them in stock, mine does. New gaskets do not come with the pipes.

The old gaskets may have been stuck in the head when the stock system came off your bike. If the bike is fairly new, the new pipes may have sealed to the old gasket if it is in there.

Just make sure there are no leaks. When starting the cold bike, feel around the whole exhaust around the jugs for leaks. I got a stick of lit incense and held it around the areas just to make sure no air was moving there.

If you can't feel or see any evidence of a leak you are probably OK, but make absolutely sure.

My two cents :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. It is a new bike, when I replaced the exhaust, I think it had about 1300 miles. I am pretty sure the head did not have the gasket. I am assuming I am looking for a black ring? I am going to double check the stock exhaust for the gasket. I am pretty sure I was looking for it when I took it off the bike, but now I am doubting myself.

Doing anything mechanical comes very hard to me, lol...but I do like to do it myself, it lets me learn about the bike. If I do not have the gaskets, you would suggest getting them, even though I may not have a leak?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The pipes will leak without the gaskets, that's why I thought the old ones may have been in the hole since you said there were no leaks.

If you don't have them, yes get them. They are round silver things that fit right inside the exhaust port where your new pipes go into when installing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wondering if any V&H people would chime in here?

I know pipes are a very subjective subject.

I'm picking up a set of V&H Slashcut Staggereds tomorrow.

I've been reading reviews on them and several say they have to wear ear plugs when riding because they are too loud.

Thanks
I did find them a bit loud and put these baffles in. http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZVHKSS.html It was still louder than stock and sounded good but toned it down a bit. I am prone to migraines so that might have been why I had an issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts